Will keep you posted. Explore regimental histories, soldier rosters, morning reports, and reports of casualties to better understand the combat experiences of your WWI veteran. FA Btry (762-mm Rocket), 84th We were there from Fall 1966 - Feb/Mar 1968. The term Red Leg began in the Civil War, First during the Kansas border wars and then the Army adapted it later. Driving the jeep for the Lt also created a memorable moment. Nor Would . Dastrup, Boyd. 264th Field Artillery Battalion - Army Unit Directory - Together We Served Find 264th Field Artillery Battalion unit information, patches, operation history, veteran photos and more on TogetherWeServed.com. -- I also have a mimeographed copy of the Battalion's history during World War II, its reactivationon 7 Jul 52, its acquisition of the 280mm Guns, its deployment to Baumholder in Nov. 1953, and ending with the Battalion's participation in the field exercise "Battle Royal" with Belgian forces of the Northern Army Group. 264th Field Artillery Battalion 401st Field Artillery Group 187th Field Artillery Battalion 809th Field Artillery Battalion 7th Armored Division: Brigadier General R.W.Hasbrouck CCA CCB CCR 23rd Armored Infantry Battalion 38th Armored Infantry Battalion 48th Armored Infantry Battalion . 175mm SP Gun, 6th Bn, 9th FA) could have included my dad, Lt. Col Henry Strickland (walking out of the picture in the right foreground and Col Wallace Magathan right most of the three guys in the center talking). Low level wind measurements are obtained from the wind measuring set, converted to firing data and applied to the launcher immediately prior to firing. I remember, in Giessen, we had to have two weeks worth of rations ready at home in case the Russians came in and we (dependents) had to bug out. John Gatens, U.S. Army Ret., Personal interview, October 17, 2011. This great weight makes detailed route, and especially bridge, reconnaissance extremely important. Within the first couple of weeks the outfit went to the field for training for a week. The 264th Field Artillery Battalion, Latz's unit, landed at Utah Beach in Normandy 10 days after D-Day. I was associated with another descendant of the 20th, the 4th Bn in Lansing, MI. In a tactical situation the guns are placed in positions of concealment with batteries separated by about 8,000 to 12,000 meters. In August 1940 it was reactivated as part of the Field Artillery of the Ninth Infantry Division, First Army, at Fort Bragg in North Carolina. Hi lions44 -- Somewhere below I saw that you hoped Ft. Sill would still come through for you. There were seven different propelling charges, with TNT being the most frequently used. Artillery Battalions in World War II - Owlcation Click here to open 'USArmyGermany' CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on January 07, 2018: Hi Ms. Hamiliton, can I ask what unit you are researching? The radar tracks the missile and provides the computer with the missile's location in the sky. 264th CSSB CSM :: Fort Bragg - United States Army FA Btry (762-mm Rocket), 85th The position of aiming posts could vary depending on the unit and terrain. SFC Stewart saw potential in me as a clerk instead of a gun bunny because when I was at A 3/6 FA, Ft. Riley, I OJT'd as a 94B (cook). NEW ! For those of you who are looking for info. I used to speak with two different librarians/assistants at the library in Fort Sill (I'm calling the library, it could be the office for Field Artillery Journal mag). As you can see from the pictures I sent, the Guns were named Apache and Alley Oop in A Battery, Big Ike and Big Mo in B Battery, and Comanche and Cheryl in C Battery. I am researching the 259th Artillery Battalion. Have been researching my Dad's WWII service for past 2 years. 65th Rifle Division - Wikipedia Dr. Foy, Darryle LSSGB - Lead Ops/Logistics Exercise Planner - ITility Although this concept was much more limited in the artillery branch than in other branches, in practice each batterys CO had great autonomy on officer assignments. The Missile Assembly and Test Building provides facilities for the uncrating, assembling, and testing of the missiles in the battery. Overall the 66th Division suffered the following casualties: 804 killed, 268 wounded, seven missing, and nineteen captured. My father went to Camp Roberts for replacement field artillery training as a lineman. Despite the copious Army manuals and regulations that defined nearly every aspect of life, the Army still encouraged low-level decision making regarding daily operations of its combat units. [1] As originally organized, the unit consisted of one officer and eight enlisted Soldiers. After the round has been fired, these two plotting boards plot the course of the target flight paths. Hi Mr. Gruber, the 20th was part of the 4th Infantry Division and a ton of information on the unit can be found on that unit's WWII pages. Born in March 1920 in Flagstaff, Arizona, Mr. Mendoza enlisted into the United Army and joined the 264th Field Artillery Battalion saw action in the European Theater in the following battles and campaigns: Northern France, Ardennes (Battle of the Bulge), Rhineland, Central Europe and Battle of Hrtgen Forest. and initiative, [ 39th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 47th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 49th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 51st Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 52nd Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 53rd Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 54th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 56th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 57th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 58th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 60th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 61st Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 62nd Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 64th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 67th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 68th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 72nd Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 73rd Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], [ 74th Infantry Division - Did not exist during WWII ], Leo van Bussel (from Holland) & Ron Villegas. Sorry I misunderstood you. Obtaining information and reports from non-divisional battalions is extremely difficult as the National Archives has not formally cataloged their after actions and daily rosters. I still have a 5 cent bill. The CORPORAL Battalion is assigned to a Field Army and may or may not be attached to a Corps. To be commissioned, those ROTC cadets had to attend OCS after going through basic training and AIT. The three 105mm battalions were assigned to one of the three infantry regiments to support, forming a combat team. We practiced RSOPs (Reconnaissance, Selection, Occupation of Position) till we could do them in our sleep. I'll post your story. If anyone can share any knowledge or similar experiences, I would appreciate it. Thank you, Mr. Kelly. A series of lights and a meter show the battery control officer the number of rounds prepared for firing and the progress of the fire unit in accomplishing the steps We had gone to Grafenveer to fire the guns; we couldnt go to Baumhilder because the range was not long enough, and so we drove to the FO cement bunker on the range to observe the firing. But overall, finding info on this unit post Bulge is very hard. Service or Relationship: Army Veteran. The Battle of the Bulge in December 1944 caused such a manpower crisis in infantry units that even some artillery units ended up sending non-essential personnel to the infantry as replacements. Continuous commands are sent to the missile to correct for evasive action of the target. The officers jobs within the battery varied. I believe the 15th FAB has a Facebook page too. Three Launching Sections form the firing components of the battery. The 1-151 FA provides combatant commanders with a trained and ready force to destroy, defeat or disrupt the enemy with timely, accurate and integrated fires; additionally, the 1-151 FA is prepared to support the State of Minnesota with troops capable of assisting in a disaster. The first of three radars is the Acquisition Radar which is a search radar. He landed on D-Day +2 and the book covers a few engagements and on the back cover is the list of those killed which list my grandad. I will contact the office to see what they have or maybe they can point me in the right direction. (7) 1 Jul 58 to 10 Dec 58: Battalion Asst S-3, Special Weapons Training Officer CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on September 16, 2016: Absolutely, Nancy. A lieutenant led the small team of 3 or 4 men to a forward outpost to spend up to several days manning a front-line position. Lee, Ulysses. U.S. Army 1966. I'm looking for whatever I can find. The 155mm battalion supported the units or areas most in need at the discretion of the Division artillery commander (better known as Divarty). After his military service, he attended the University of Florida where he was a member of the ATO fraternity and where he became a lifelong Gator fan. The aiming circle was a small scope graduated with 6,400 mils as opposed to the usual 360 degrees (a mil is 1/6400 of a circle). The Force Artillery Commander normally selects primary areas for CORPORAL Battalions under his control. Besides the four firing battalions, an infantry divisions artillery complement contained a Division Headquarters component. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on June 07, 2019: Hi Mr. Armstrong, can you email me directly? I have his IKE Jacket and photos when he married my mother in Lyon France on 9 Oct 1945 before his re-deployment back to the US 0n 19 Nov 45 from Le Havre France aboard the Monticello AP-61 arriving NY 27 Nov 45. Some after the war. Because we all bought US Savings Bonds, which made the CO look good, we did not have to stand reville. That GI was from a divisional artillery unit. That happened a lot in the wake of the Bulge. 'Atomic cannon' crew, 1956 | Stars and Stripes Hi, I got a notice of a new post and after reading it scrolled down for others I may have missed. I was the Bn Ammo Clerk for Svc 2/92 FA even though my MOS was 13B. By having this record the gun could go to a known position and not have to wait for a survey. The 159th batteries were often employed with infantry task forces. 266th Field Artillery Battalion. If you have a photo and bio for your dad, I would love to add him to the Red Leg of the Week feature I do. But his task did not end there; he also operated the breech block, set the primer, and pulled the lanyard upon the order, Fire! So i just wanted some info even if vaguely describes the 282 during the war. I remember going for the parade day thing and a change of command ceremony. The Employment of Negro Troops. He dropped it with one round from his M16. After lunch we had an hour of motor stables followed by either more section training or R&R. The groups began forming in 1943. King of Battle: A Branch History of the U.S. Army's Field Artillery. World War II unit histories Thanks for the quick response and that would be amazing if you could turn up something to add to our story. I left out a lot, but that's the easy synopsis. My information is at my house in Arizona, and I'm now at our place in Juneau. Such was the case with many African American artillery battalions. Went to a few bistros, a few gasthauses, the bahnhof. 285th Field Artillery Observation Bat-267th Field Artillery Battalion. Good luck and I will keep you posted. The battery is only 25% mobile and is classified as a semi-mobile battery. I was allowed to go into the kitchen anytime 24/7 and get food. My first assignment was in the radar group, which didnt last very long. What he wanted was all the discards from the C rations which the GIs usually had. During my time there he received his Captains bars. On an HE round, the ammunition crews could set it for either point detonating (PD) or time superquick (TSQ). Batteries were further subdivided into sections. Does anyone have suggestions on where to look or find roster of the unit, or unit picture? US Army Unit Records Index | PDF | Division (Military) | Regiment - Scribd On this version, there were no split trailers. Would such a book exist for all of the FABs? I will keep at it. The other calibers were the 8-inch, the 240mm, and the 4.5-inch gun. The 666th was a non divisional battalion which frequently moved to different groups so wondering if this battalion was made up of field artillery replacements. PDF Allied Army, Battle of the Bulge, 1 January 1945 - Alternate Wars He would like to remain in contact with any members of the service he served with during this time. I remember a black guy (Pvt/Cpl/Sgt? However, it was to inform me I was now in the survey section. The majority of the shells expended during fire missions were usually high explosive (HE). Firing positions are prepared in advance and survey completed to a stake which marks the location for the center of the turntable. After the rocket leaves the launcher the crewmen rapidly march order the section. Appreciate the reminder. When target and missile converge, the missile is detonated and the Missile Tracking Radar automatically transfers to the next missile readied for firing. I read that the first guns got there in Oct and not Novas I remembered it. The technical development between the world wars, particularly in the United States, created a system that was second to none. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on October 26, 2017: Mr. Lagasse, the 15th FAB has a great website with rosters and stories (not sure if you've found it already). And I didn't really think about how the army wouldn't stop practicing, because my father's section, at least, thought they were going on to Japan. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on May 17, 2020: I might have some contacts for you, when you have a minute, just email me. A split second later a gust of yellow orange flame bursts from the nozzle end of the rocket. Anything out there?? You can email me. Amazingly, those incidents were relatively rare considering the near-constant use that most of the weapons received. The sergeant in the middle is instructing the soldier on attaching the shell (top part) to the casing below after it has been packed with ammo bags. Other battery and battalion personnel included radiomen, wiremen, instrument operators (survey team), cooks, drivers, and mechanics. The moto-mechanized brigade consisted of head quarters, three tank battalions, a reconnaissance battalion, an infantry battalion, a motorized artillery battalion, a troop transport battalion, special troops, and services. The gun fires a shell weighing 272 kilograms a distance of 27 kilometers. Any information about this unit in the interim would be great! Thanks, CJK, my grandfather also passed before i could talk to him of his service. This left some units in the theater with excess personnel, which they were directed to transfer to other units, including the 265th. Seventh Army artillery: 59th, 264th, 265th & 868th FA Gun Bn The "Honest John" rocket batteries that arrived in command during the fiscal year were located at Kitzingen, Ansbach, Schwbisch Gmnd, Darmstadt, Hanau and Leipheim. http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on January 02, 2018: Glad to hear from you. I'm looking for pictures of the C Battery 81st Field Artillery. The 808th was part of the 9th Army, XIII Corps. We have been putting together some information about my granddad recently after putting out a Facebook message. This order detonates the three missile warheads simultaneously. Rank was hard to come by because the 280s were being phased out and the battalion seemed to be a place for Officers who were being phased out. Each Nike missile battery is divided into three principal areas: The administrative area, the fire control area, and the launching area. - Did you get to Buchenwald at the end of the war? during WWII ], Original webdesign jsoc fort bragg, nc address The majority of the infantry troops were on board the. I believe. 108th Air Definition Artillery Brigade. World War II By the end of World War II, the U.S. Army had established several hundred temporary burial grounds around the world. At least 2 cooks married the women KPs. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on April 16, 2020: Hi Mr. Bowles, try this websitehttp://www.89infdivww2.org/index.htm. CJK. I remember Rivers Barracks. No luck so far. The remainder of the men in the 66th Division who did not have enough points to return home was either sent to Delta Base in southern France or to Germany and Austria to serve as occupation forces. Information on this unit has been hard to come by, do you have any notion of how I might find out more about the 689th? I dont know if he found out about my mother before he left or in fact if he ever did? Can I ask one more question? 46 Vaihingen, Germany 7th Army Band Airmail to Cherry Valley, Ill. Light stains. FA Bn (280mm Gun), 265th during WWII ], [ 19th Infantry Division - Did not exist My dad, Eugene F. Southall, was a field lineman (technician 5th grade) with HQ and HQ Battery. Hi Mr. Walters, do you mean Service Battery? History | American Battle Monuments Commission Roy Harmon Obituary - Winter Haven, FL Then it surges into space with a roar at an ever mounting speed. My older brother said he got to drive a 2 1/2 ton truck (he was 12). AP580305A . And Edgewood Arsenal, he was there. Wikizero - 44th (Home Counties) Division Behind the safety plate, on the left side of the breech, the gunner corporal worked a telescopic sight known as the gunners quadrant (or gunners scope), containing an azimuth scale that measured horizontal deflection, which he set on orders from the firing officer. It was an M110 (8" SP) Bn. The battalion itself is 100% mobile. McAllister (jeep driver). Duty as an observer usually occurred on a rotating basis for the officers of each battery within the battalion. Find out whether your WWI veteran was awarded medals for battlefield heroism or for wounds received in action. Crew of 105mm (M2). About once a week you pulled guard duty from 5pm to 6am. or Vilseck at least twice a year and stayed in primitive quarters. If I hear back from him, will let you know. The jobs of the enlisted members of each firing battery varied depending on their training and circumstances, with many personnel being cross-trained to do a variety of work. You can contact their historian (Dave Curry) or visit their website at: Here is a link from the site: https://83rdinfdivdocs.org/units/908th-fa-bn/. Interesting article. The third area, which is apart from the Administrative and Control Areas, is the Launching Area. The 280mm Gun Battalion is composed of a Headquarters, and a Headquarters and Service Battery, which directs, administers and furnishes logistic support, and three firing batteries of two guns each. 42nd The Battalion, and especially A Battery, lost a large number of officers during the first half of 1956. I also have some general information about the 280mm Gun, including a photo copy of the pamphlet "Test of the 280mm Gun" published by the Artillery Center in May, 1953. We got along great with my math background. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on November 17, 2017: Nothing yet. THOMPSON Charles E - 47 IR 9 ID That happened to most of the 589th FAB survivors. Here is where I lose track of him and can find no records of what battalion he was assigned . Between the wars, there were important changes to the standard practices of the branch. Controls necessary for premature or delayed detonation of the warheads are incorporated into the system. There are some resources on the 666th as well as a book that was published. Jessie Martinez Obituary (1924 - 2020) - Hobart, IN - The Times His name was George Irwin Brown and we have since found out he was a Master Sergeant with the 200th Field Artillery Battalion and was from Slippery Rocks, Pennsylvania. Last week we found a Facebook group for the 200th and sent them a mail about if they knew of the book as it might mention my grandad. Here's the links: 1) http://indianhead-roster.com/roster/15th-field-art My uncle Charles David Knight served in WW 2 in Battery B 15th Field Artillery Battalion under the 2nd Infantry Division (Indianheads). I saw one from Peter Lagasse, where he mentions a yearbook in connection with a FAB ("I already have the 1946 yearbook of the 15th FAB and also the 2nd Infantry Division book that was published."). external powder bags), the duties of the 155mm crews were essentially the same. It was a Corps Artillery unit. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on April 01, 2020: Mr. Ferandes, I'll do the best I can. One or more of the battalions of a group might be attached for direct support to an individual division. Me again. WW2 Army Unit Records Research | WW2 Research On this page documents related to the 324th Field Artillery Battalion can be downloaded in the PDF format. Maybe he was using both. USAREUR Units - 42nd Arty Gp - USArmyGermany.com I was a reconnaissance officer in "B" Battery of the 324th Field, 83rd Inf Div - there were three of us in the battalion and we were all sent forward on or around 25 June '44 to inf companies as FO's. TACTICAL USAGE There is a 10-page postwar The 270th Field Artillery Battalion in the E.T.O.. pamphlet you may be able to get as a copy from the Army Historical and Education Center library at Carlisle, PA. I will check the 20th Corps order of battle just to confirm. So now I'm on to more official information. They may have been detached, but these are the assigned battalions. artillery regiments, one antiaircraft artillery regi ment, and various services. I do have some informationI got from other members before they passed. I did not see you mention, so I'm assuming you have not seen it. PDF U.S. XVIII Airborne Corps Troops December, 1944 Figure it would be easier via email. Please contact me again the first week of December. Thanks, Mr. McCasland. The shells had lifting rings attached to their nose during shipment, and they had to be removed to install the fuse. Change for me! Discover unknown details about your veteran's family: civilian occupations . At a roadblock one battery destroyed twelve attacking enemy tanks with direct fire. In addition, I have some Orders and other information contained my 201 File which might be of interest. 6c DC-4 Skymaster 1958 Army-Air Force Postal Service, A.P.O. CJK -- how do I send you a photo? necessary to prepare and fire the round. We generally woke up to Hill Billy Reveille" on AFN radio. Thx for stopping by. I meant when you go to the Battle of the Bulge reunion, if you hear of anyone there interested. Yes it was WWII. The other officers could be assigned to a variety of tasks, which included motor officer, daily maintenance, firing officer or forward observer. The black telephone cables were constantly shot up, and there were up to several miles of cable laid out between an observation post and the FDC or battery. You can use the email provided on my page. FA Btry (762-mm Rocket), 531st Those howitzers were big, firing "small bombs" that weighed nearly 50 pounds each,. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on October 22, 2019: Hi Mr. Schulte, great to hear from you. who had been a college math instructor but drank too much and ended up in the Army. The history of the 26st Field Artillery Regiment from the early days of the horse soldier to the modern, highly trained, mission ready, assault force of today. Please take as long as you need. M7 Self-propelled 105mm ("The Priest") near La Gleize, Belgium during the Battle of the Bulge. He may charge a fee to do a search. CJ Kelly (author) from the PNW on September 23, 2019: http://www.84thrailsplitters.com/history.html. In one letter, he sent me a color picture of a 400 pound tiger carcass tied to a pole in the middle of one of the firebases. The Headquarters and Service Battery normally supplements the Firing Battery with communications personnel and equipment, and additional ammunition carrying vehicles when the battery is separated from the battalion. Normandy American Cemetery, Colleville-sur-Mer, France - Surnames N-R I had always thought that he had 175mm SPHs there. Hoping get something out of that. TRADOC 1992. In this request, the assistant adjutant commented that the FSM had been discharged as a master sergeant to accept a battlefield commission as a second lieutenant. I have quite a bit of information about the Battalion and its history, both during and prior to the period of time I was assigned there. Although the shells were shipped semi-fixed with the fuse already installed, it was the powder that provided the punch, so that had to be added to the shell. On 01 October 1940, the three battalions of the 26th Field Artillery were re-designated as Artillery, and the old first battalion then became the 26th Field Artillery Battalion. stories or thoughts on the subject, please contact me . The 266th Engineer and 366th Medical battalions performed their usual duties. I remember one of the Lieutenants (a company commander?) Another time we spent 3 days in a mosquito infested swamp along the Rhine River while a Company of Engineers built pontoon bridges for us to float the 280s across the river. We were assigned the task of burying trig marks (a piece of rebar in concrete) in the intersections of all the dirt roads in our part of Germany. My plan is to base a novel on his exploits and service. Regardless of the theater in which they operated, the branch was able to put all of these innovations into use. I suspect that Sill arrived at the conclusion of WWII that the Btry Exec could manage 2 more guns - certainly from my point of view 18 rounds on the target instead of 12 was going to make a lot more noise. The 66th Division was part of the Sixth Army Group and participated in the Northern France campaign. Part of the division sailed for England on November 15, 1944 aboard the. The missile's velocity is measured by the doppler radio and assisted by the computer, shuts off the rocket engine when the missile reaches the appropriate speed consistent with the desired range. So the third day, after I got settled, he showed me Giessen. For a buck you could be a big shot and buy the section Lowenbraus all night. The 26th Field Artillery Battalion fired 5000 rounds at Sejnane, Tunisia in one day in 1943! Capt Welty was a 20-year man who was a Marine during WW2 and switched to the Army during Korea. If not West Pointers, many were from military schools such as the Virginia Military Institute (VMI) or the Citadel. We were moved to New York by train and loaded onto the USS Callan along with a lot of other troops. Up front were tank divisions, then armored infantry, then 105s, then 155s then 8 inch guns and then us. It seems they needed to replace the man who did the calculations during the surveys and the review of my schooling made me their choice.

Buckingham Palace Gin Australia, Eddie Wilson Ryanair Email Address, Christine Banner Wife Of John Banner, Articles OTHER