Sir David Attenborough explains how humans can take charge of our future and save our planet. We invented farming. Lions are the second largest of the'big cats' after the tiger and arethe most social, with related females living together in prides and males forming coalitions. The great man has spoken. Its covered with small family-run farms with no room for expansion. Rainforests are particularly precious habitats. The green sea turtle is one of the largest and most widespread of all the marine turtles. Sir David Frederick Attenborough is a naturalist and broadcaster, who is most well-known for writing and presenting the nine "Life" series, produced in conjunction with BBC's Natural History Unit. You think you have control. The biodiversity of the Holocene helped to bring stability, and the entire living world settled into a gentle, reliable rhythm the seasons. This is a series of one-way doors bringing irreversible change. Is this how our story is due to end? As a subscriber, you have 10 gift articles to give each month. There is widespread acknowledgement within the scientific community that the climate of Africa has been changing as stated in the programme. For much of its expanse, the ocean is largely empty. When I was a boy, I spent all my spare time searching through rocks in places like this for buried treasure. Its happened in my lifetime. He is the younger brother of the director, producer and actor Richard Attenborough, and older brother of the motor executive John Attenborough. The Netherlands is one of the worlds most densely-populated countries. Under Title 17 U.S.C. It's simple. Sparkling coastal seas. Apparently stung by criticism about the false impressions his documentaries have provided on the state of our natural world, Attenborough has produced a witness statement outlining the changes to the environment over his 94-year existence and solutions to the biodiversity crisis he has lived through. Even our oceans are wrought having been treated as humanitys toilet bowl for the past millennia, 90% of fish are gone and corals are being bleached white. Our past impacts on the species we share this planet with are reprehensible, and the future on this trajectory will be bleak. But we can make them the only source. They are the best technology nature has for locking away carbon. Our blind assault on the planet has finally come to alter the very fundamentals of the living world. BBC - Celebrating Attenborough at 90: clips Stay up to date: Despite its size, the Netherlands is now the worlds second largest exporter of food. My first visit to East Africa was in 1960. I first witnessed the destruction of an entire habitat in Southeast Asia. Planet Earth II Episodes' Transcripts | Subs like Script And if we do it right, it can continue because theres a win-win at play. I mean, we have completely well, destroyed that world. In previous events, it had taken volcanic activity up to one million years to dredge up enough carbon from within the earth to trigger a catastrophe. We must recapture billions of tons of carbon from the air. Most of our diseases were under control. In 2020, world-renowned naturalist David Attenborough released a new film - "A Life on Our Planet" - which he calls his "witness statement" for the environment. At the same time, the Arctic becomes ice-free in the summer. By the time Frozen Planet aired in 2011, the reasons for these changes was well established. Speech-to-Text live streaming for live captions, powered by the worlds leading speech recognition API. Thats almost 20 times the energy we need just from sunlight. A monoculture of oil palm. [Attenborough] By the time Life on Earth aired in 1979, I had entered my 50s. By the 1980s, uncontrolled logging had reduced this to just one quarter. Theres a chance for us to make amends, to complete our journey of development, manage our impact, and once again become a species in balance with nature. He meets the local people who are supporting wildlife and investigates what is needed to save a species. The BBC celebrates Sir David Attenborough on his 90th birthday. We actually have no control. Its finite. The best time of our lives. All this was absolutely clear, it was only just stopped being a working quarry. David Attenborough describes the massive variety of life that lives on Earth. And Im going to tell you how. Some of the numbers are slightly out too. The Green Planet. How life has changed and adapted over the past three thousand million years. The explosion was a result of bad planning and human error. In 2002 he was named among the 100 Greatest Britons following a UK-wide poll for the BBC. Vast swathes of forest have been cleared, waters polluted, species driven extinct. He is best known for writing and presenting, in conjunction with the BBC Natural History Unit, the nine natural history documentary series that form the Life collection, which form a comprehensive survey of animal and plant life on Earth. Ive experienced the living world firsthand in all its variety and wonder. Mountain gorilla numbers now exceed 1,000 individuals thanks to concerted conservation efforts. This habitat was the subject of the series The Blue Planet, which we were filming in the late 90s. Watch on Netflix. Immense grasslands. David Attenborough with an armadillo on BBC TV in 1963. . Read about our approach to external linking. It is about empowering people.". Breaking Boundaries: The Science of Our Planet. Sir David Attenborough has told delegates at COP26 that they are powerful enough to save the planet, if they work together. And there, only a few yards away, we spotted a great furry red form swaying in the trees. You and I belong to the most widespread and dominant species of animal on earth. The vast majority, chickens. 1960 WORLD POPULATION: 3.0 BILLION CARBON IN ATMOSPHERE: 315 PARTS PER MILLION REMAINING WILDERNESS: 62%. Speaker 8: (06:03) Its only now that I appreciate how extraordinary. Throughout the north, frozen soils thaw, releasing methane, a greenhouse gas many times more potent than carbon dioxide, accelerating the rate of climate change dramatically. . As hydropower dams quell the Mekongs life force, what are the costs. Climate Change: The Facts (2019) - IMDb Our predators had been eliminated. New David Attenborough series about UK and Ireland likely to be his At last, Attenborough clearly illustrates the devastating impact humanity has had on our planet. Its a sanctuary for wild animals that are very rare elsewhere. David Attenborough investigates the age of an elephant bird's egg that he has discovered. Over time, I began to learn something about the earths evolutionary history. In 1971, I set out to find an uncontacted tribe in New Guinea. At first, the cause of the bleaching was a mystery. Phytoplankton at the oceans surface and immense forests straddling the north have helped to balance the atmosphere by locking away carbon. They charted them as they moved across rivers, through woodlands, and over national borders. Add English on-screen subtitles for videos. In my time, Ive experienced the warming of Arctic summers. David Attenborough talks about his longstanding fascination with discovering fossils. If we dont take action, the collapse of our civilizations and the extinction of much of the natural world is on the horizon. 158 books2,187 followers. In a single small patch of tropical rainforest, there could be 700 different species of tree, as many as there are in the whole of North America. There is little left for the rest of the living world. One of the greatest films ever made, The Sorrow and The Pity is a contribution to history, to social psychology, to anthropology, and to art. At the age of 92, Attenborough remains committed to that mission. For much of humanitys ancient history, that number bounced wildly between 180 and 300, and so too did global temperatures. [whales singing] [whales continue singing]. Narrated by David Attenborough. A renewable future will be full of benefits. And a few years later, that idea became obvious to everyone. When I filmed with the mountain gorillas, there were only 300 left in a remote jungle in Central Africa. The only way to keep them alive was for rangers to be with them every day. Try Rev and save time transcribing, captioning, and subtitling. And this is what they saw what we all saw. [Attenborough] At the turn of the century, Morocco relied on imported oil and gas for almost all of its energy. Again, the two features work together. There was an edge to our existence. In Asia, the winds would create the monsoon on cue. We had very little understanding of how the living world actually worked. You can see it. POOL/AFP via Getty Images. We depend on support from readers like you. Its crazy that our banks and our pensions are investing in fossil fuel when these are the very things that are jeopardizing the future that we are saving for. Just imagine that. We humans cannot presume the same. Thank you sir David , for opening my eyes, for letting me see the world as it is now. Ive visited the polar regions over many decades. This truth defined the life we led in our pre-history, the time before farming and civilization. About the Show. By 1975, the average was two. Our planet becomes four degrees Celsius warmer. Episode 6 of 6. This is a fundamentally important documentary by a man trusted around the world, so ideally, this documentary should be seen by everyone, but the brevity of the biodiversity crisis, the potential impacts and the solutions would be educational to politicians worldwide. [thunder rumbling] And the weather is more and more unpredictable. The global temperature has not wavered over this period by more than plus or minus one degree Celsius, until now. When you first see it, you think perhaps that its beautiful, and suddenly you realize its tragic. Our EIN or tax ID is 45-3714703. Fishing is worlds greatest wild harvest. Breaking Boundaries: The Science of Our PlanetNot rated. By the time Attenborough had reached his 50s, the human population had doubled from its size when he was born. 0 likes. Dr. Matt Hayward is Associate Professor of Conservation Biology in the School of Environmental and Life Sciences at the University of Newcastle in New South Wales, Australia. The BBC has announced new sequels to Planet Earth and Frozen Planet, and he says he was . The wilder and more diverse forests are, the more effective they are at absorbing carbon from the atmosphere. The return of the trees would absorb as much as two thirds of the carbon emissions that have been pumped into the atmosphere by our activities to date. The black rhinoceros, also known as the hook-lipped rhinoceros,is the best known of the five living rhinoceros species, with its aggressive reputation and highly publicised international conservation drive. As healthcare and education improved, peoples expectations and opportunities grew, and the birth rate fell. Nobody wanted animals to become extinct. Sir David Attenborough spoke about climate action at the COP26 climate summit in Glasgow on November 1, 2021. Explore and monitor how Future of the Environment is affecting economies, industries and global issues. We just have to do what nature has always done. We found ourselves in an unusually benign period with predictable seasons and reliable weather. At 90, Sir David Attenborough might be appearing on location in nature documentaries less than he used to, but he is still very much involved in the editing process, writing the scripts for his narration which give the episodes their intimate and wondrous feel. Your excellencies, delegates, ladies and gentlemen, as you spend the next two weeks, debating, negotiating, persuading and compromising, as you surely must, its easy to forget that ultimately the emergency climate comes down to a single number, the concentration of carbon in our atmosphere. This is a challenge that we should try to solve in a quick way, but with a long term vision. They discovered that the Serengeti herds required an enormous area of healthy grassland to function. I look at these images now and I realize that, although as a young man I felt I was out there in the wild experiencing the untouched natural world it was an illusion. The Second World War was over, technology was making our lives easier. In the northern regions, the temperatures would lift in March, triggering spring, and stay high until they dipped in October and brought about autumn. And the idea could be passed from one generation to the next. Nothing to stop us. All available episodes (9 total) Supporting Content. The ocean is a critical ally in our battle to reduce carbon in the atmosphere. That without such an immense space, the herds would diminish and the entire ecosystem would come crashing down. We need to rediscover how to be sustainable. All have a journey still to complete so that all nations have a good standard of living and a modest footprint. 2. David Attenborough COP26 Climate Summit Glasgow Speech Transcript - Rev Crowdsource Innovation. The thing we rely upon for every element of the lives we lead. Tulsa Burning: The 1921 Race Massacre | Transcript, The Sorrow and the Pity (1969) Review by David Denby, J.P. Morgan: How One Man Financed America [Transcript]. When Attenborough showed the world how similar we are to some of our closest relatives, mountain gorillas, in his Life on Earth series in 1978, wilderness had dropped to 55% of the planet. We will all share in the benefits. We are ultimately bound by and defined by the resources on this planet.. [NASA technician] Five, four, three, two one, zero. David, that was inspiring, it taught me a lesson of life. In such places, huge shoals of fish gather. We are already in trouble. You can unsubscribe at any time using the link in our emails. Education leads to increased wealth and reduced birth rates a solution to humanitys overpopulation problem. Nature is resilient, if humanitys foot is removed from its throat. Boo! https://www.scripts.com/writer/david_attenborough/3824, Complete biography of David Attenborough , David Attenborough's Conquest of the Skies 3D, David Attenborough's Natural History Museum Alive. Were going to have to learn together, how to achieve this, ensuring none are left behind. Humpbacks living in the same area learn their songs from each other. Ive had the most extraordinary life. [Attenborough] By the end of the century, Borneos rainforest had been reduced by half. On an expedition in New Guinea, the BBC film crew give gifts to the Biami tribe. It comes down to this. When David gets a thorn stuck in his hand, Charles Lagus comes to the rescue. This story is one of inequality, as well as instability. The white corals are ultimately smothered by seaweed. Rewilding the world is simpler than you might think. J.P. Morgan: How One Man Financed America is a fast-paced and informative portrait of Americas most prolific banker a man so powerful that when he died, the NYSE paused all trading for half a day out of respect. But Chernobyl was a single event. The film traces his 60-year career, outlining how steeply the health of the planet has declined in his lifetime. Can we fix climate problem in one generation? A story of global decline during a single lifetime. Once a species became our target, there was now nowhere on earth that it could hide. As much now as I did when I was a boy. And the speed of global warming increases. Which countries are best prepared for the green tech transition? But its now becoming apparent that its not all doom and gloom. Our planet, vulnerable and isolated. It scares me. It is time for us to change our ways. It was a rediscovery of a fundamental truth. David Attenborough and scientist Johan Rockstrm examine Earth's biodiversity collapse and how this crisis can still be averted.David Attenborough and scientist Johan Rockstrm examine Earth's biodiversity collapse and how this crisis can still be averted.David Attenborough and scientist Johan Rockstrm examine Earth's biodiversity collapse and how this crisis can still be averted. In the past, animals had to develop some physical ability to change their lives. . A Netflix original documentary series and groundbreaking collaboration between WWF, Netflix and Silverback Films, Our Planet showcases the world's natural wonders, iconic species and wildlife spectacles that still remain. [Attenborough] They ate meat rarely. Walking through the ruins of a school evacuated after the Chernobyl nuclear reactor meltdown (perhaps the most devastating environmental impact on the planet), Attenborough illustrates that all is not lost nature can bounce back if we give it a chance. For more details, review our .chakra .wef-12jlgmc{-webkit-transition:all 0.15s ease-out;transition:all 0.15s ease-out;cursor:pointer;-webkit-text-decoration:none;text-decoration:none;outline:none;color:inherit;font-weight:700;}.chakra .wef-12jlgmc:hover,.chakra .wef-12jlgmc[data-hover]{-webkit-text-decoration:underline;text-decoration:underline;}.chakra .wef-12jlgmc:focus,.chakra .wef-12jlgmc[data-focus]{box-shadow:0 0 0 3px rgba(168,203,251,0.5);}privacy policy. 2021 Scraps from the Loft. The nation's favourite broadcaster, Sir David Attenborough, returned to our screens recently with the launch of Planet Earth II.To celebrate Attenborough and the amazing work he has done over . When you purchase a ticket for an independently reviewed film through our site, we earn an affiliate commission. The white color is caused by corals expelling algae that lives symbiotically within their body. The ocean has long since become unable to absorb all the excess heat caused by our activities. The true tragedy of our time is still unfolding across the globe, barely noticeable from day to day. We waste the majority of stuff we consume, be it food, electricity, or space so Attenborough implores us to reduce waste if we do nothing else. It was only in the 50s that large fleets first ventured out into international waters to reap the open ocean harvest across the globe. The truth is, with or without us, the natural world will rebuild. The pace of change was getting faster and faster. So, I had the privilege of being amongst the first to fully experience the bounty of life that had come about as a result of the Holocenes gentle climate. By damming, polluting, and over-extracting rivers and lakes, weve reduced the size of freshwater populations by over 80%. The living world cant operate without a healthy ocean and neither can we. A speed of change that exceeds any in the last 10,000 years. For 65 million years, its been at work reconstructing the living world until we come to the world we know our time. Protected fish populations soon became so healthy, they spilt over into the areas open to fishing. This was before any of us were aware that there were problems. The very thing that gave birth to our civilization. The natural world is fading. [Attenborough] I was in a television studio when the Apollo mission launched. The movie visualizes these metaphors tritely, for instance by cutting to a moody shot of a window being shut, and relies extensively on an elaborate C.G.I. Today, those whove done the least to cause this problem, are being the hardest hit. It was the first time that any human had moved away far enough from the earth to see the whole planet. Attenborough launched an official Instagram account on Thursday, Sept. 24, in support of the film. Breaking Boundaries: The Science of Our Planet (2021) - IMDb David Attenborough explains how life on Earth has evolved, Attenborough's Passion Projects, Darwin's Tree of Life, The final paragraph of "On the Origin of the Species", Attenborough's Passion Projects, Lost Worlds, Vanished Lives, Web exclusive: David Attenborough seeks medical attention, Web exclusive: Davids hopes on what natural history films can do for us, The mysteries of the Easter Island statues revealed, Attenborough's Passion Projects, Lost Gods of Easter Island, David Attenborough recording a village ceremony in 1954, Web exclusive: The day I met Attenborough - Lyrebird, First contact with the Biami tribe in 1971, Attenborough's Passion Projects, A Blank on the Map, A hair raising take off in Guiana in 1955, Web exclusive: The day I met Attenborough - Penguins, David Attenborough captures a python in 1956. There is a double incentive to cut down forests. Planet Earth-inspired app lets you become a documentary maker | WIRED UK Calculate how much it costs to transcribe, caption, or subtitle your content. In an impassioned speech to leaders, the naturalist and COP26 people's . The predators help to keep nutrients in the oceans sunlit waters, recycling them so that they can be used again and again by plankton. In one act, this would transform the open ocean from a place exhausted by subsidized fishing fleets to a wilderness that will help us all in our efforts to combat climate change. Arguably one of David Attenborough's best documentaries of all time, The Blue Planet consists of eight 50-minute episodes examining the many wonderful and complex facets of the marine environment and life in it. Otherwise, this is brilliant! Even one as vast as the ocean. These people were hunter-gatherers, as all humankind had been before farming. Mountains 58 mins Humans like to think that once they have climbed a mountain, they have somehow conquered it. Global food production enters a crisis as soils become exhausted by overuse. we would keep consuming the earth until we had used it up. [Attenborough] If we can change the way we live on Earth, an alternative future comes into view. Thank you for the feedback, the missing data has been added and incorrect year amended. We were transforming what a species could achieve. There are signs that this has started to happen across the globe. As we improve our approach to farming, well start to reverse the land-grab that weve been pursuing ever since we began to farm, which is essential because we have an urgent need for all that free land. Christopher Hooton. Each generation able to develop and progress only because the living world could be relied upon to deliver us the conditions we needed. In international waters, the UN is attempting to create the biggest no fish zone of all. Giving people a greater opportunity of life is what we would want to do anyway. Old people are much better than young people at recognizing the loss of biodiversity the world has seen over the past few decades, so communication between the generations could reinforce the impact of this intergenerational inequity. The problem is that our fishing fleets are just as good at finding those hot spots as are the fish. David Attenborough returns in this breathtaking documentary showcasing life on Planet Earth. Our imprint is now truly global. As a result, the no fish zones have increased the catch of the local fishermen, while at the same time allowing the reefs to recover. And ways to harvest our forests sustainably. Palau is a Pacific Island nation reliant on its coral reefs for fish and tourism. David Attenborough: 10 Best Documentaries to Watch The more diverse it is, the better it does that job. This is not about saving our planet its about saving ourselves. No one wants this to happen. In Attenboroughs words, Our home was not limitless. But you now want to explain to us what peril we are in. Sir David Attenborough Answers . Ultimately, all of us will feel the impact, some of which are now unavoidable. The views expressed in this article are those of the author alone and not the World Economic Forum. Many people regarded it as the most costly in the history of mankind. The stability we all depend on is breaking. David Attenborough has seen more of the natural world than any other. Our cities will be cleaner and quieter. Although the rhinoceros is referred to as black, its colour varies from brown to grey. David Attenborough: A Life on Our Planet - Transcript Two impassioned fans talk about their hero. Indoors, within cities. All these years later, its once again the only option. David Attenborough comes face to face with a baby rhino and asks what the future holds for this little one.

Houses For Rent In Clermont, Fl Craigslist, Leo Sun Leo Moon Libra Rising Celebrities, Articles D