Help others learn more about this product by uploading a video! Otherwise I would have given 5 stars. Also included: the film's Hong Kong theatrical trailer and U.S. promotional trailer. It's possible given the Japanese release from them, that Fortune Star may be grabbing up US and worldwide rights if no one else or Mei-Ah hasn't already. And while the feature-length commentary by Hong Kong cinema expert Bey Logan may be lacking in critical insight, it's obvious that Logan is a devoted and well-informed fan of the "heroic bloodshed" genre of Hong Kong action films, and his knowledgeable commentary is filled with relevant details that place Hard Boiled in a thorough historical context. Just pressed Play and the Cantonese track automatically played. , Director I was laughing at the preposterously ridiculous conclusion because I realized the John Woo direction would not stoop to killing one "character" while displaying this is just a movie, don't take this too seriously (not a bad thing) when our hero cop (Chow Yun-Fat) has officially turned into a gun-wielding, people saving, comic book super hero. Hard Boiled (1992) (Ultimate Edition) - Blu-ray Forum Average Customer Rating for this Edition: Average Customer Rating for All Editions of this Product: The currencies exchange rates were updated on 2023-05-01. Top subscription boxes right to your door, 1996-2023, Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates, Learn more how customers reviews work on Amazon. among the "violent" B-movies it has turned out to be a masterpiece. The movie itself is an action packed lead-fest and very entertaining. If Criterion can make a fifty-year-old Seven Samurai look damn good (for its age) on Blu-ray, Im not sure whether Dragon Dynasty have any excuses not to have done a better job with a film thats less than 20 years old. The rights to The Killer outside of Asia were previously held by a German company called Atlas International, who were the ones that had licensed it to various labels including Dragon Dynasty/Genius Products/TWC in the US. It was amazing - with an ordinary crime story. You are using an out of date browser. It is surprisingly hard to find decent quality copies of a lot of the old Woo movies. Just pressed Play and the Cantonese track automatically played. Multiple Formats, Closed-captioned, Color, Dubbed, NTSC, Widescreen, John Woo, Meng Lo, Anthony Wong Chau-Sang, Bowie Lam, Barry Wong, Shui Ting Ng, Wei Tung, Yun-Fat Chow, Philip Kwok, Hoi-Shan Kwan, Tony Leung Chiu Wai, Gordon Chan, Teresa Mo, Philip Chan, Bobbie Au-Yeung, Masterful Hong Kong action director John Woo (, ) turns in this exciting and pyrotechnic tale of warring gangsters and shifting loyalties. The absence of Chow Yun-Fat is regrettable, but in the 38-minute "Baptism of Fire" featurette, director John Woo goes into great detail (speaking in English) about how he wanted to create a screen hero like Clint Eastwood or Steve McQueen; how he refined Chow Yun-Fat's "cool" image on screen; how he constantly wanted more gunfire and bigger explosions; and the daily conditions that affected the filming of, . *fingers crossed*, Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals , Send a private message to hanshotfirst1138, Send a private message to yoloswegmaster420, Send a private message to SpaceBlackKnight, http://www.fortunestarentertainment.com/thekiller.html, https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Hard-Blu-ray/73854/. , Subtitles: Some of these items dispatch sooner than the others. is a rare treat for fans of the action genre, with sequences as thrilling and intense as any ever committed to film. After Criterion, Tai Sang released Mei-Ah's Hong Kong DVDs in the US, but there was some legal issue that got them pulled as it was discovered Atlas International (who had distribution rights outside of Asia, mainly Europe) also held US distribution rights. This product is accepted for return under certain conditions. It may not display this or other websites correctly. In a 15-minute interview, former Hong Kong undercover cop Philip Chan discusses (in English) his co-starring role in, , his experiences working with Woo, Chow Yun-Fat, and others in the cast, and his astute observations about the film's lasting impact. I had been previously disappointed by the dragon dynasty edition I got of The Killer, but I was overall very satisfied with this edition of Hard Boiled. First up we get a full length Audio Commentary from Hong Kong film expert Bey Logan. Detail is pretty bad throughout, although, oddly, DNR wavers across the runtime. He talks about the elaborate stunts done, and what it was like to work with Woo and this is another solid Interview offering. Mad Dog Bites Again is a 24 minute Interview with leading villain Kwok Choi who discusses his work on choreographing the action, and how his character was written into the movie in order to give the story a more interesting lead henchman. He talks about wanting to make a movie tribute to Steve McQueen and Clint Eastwood, and how this movie reflected two of the coolest characters that they brought to the Big Screen, in Bullitt and Dirty Harry, reflectively. Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals . We do get significantly better audio, and most of the previously-found extras as well, but theres nothing new in the extra department, which is a shame when you consider the wealth of material on offer from the other DVD incarnations (including no less than two John Woo Audio Commentaries) which are nowhere to be seen here. The No. Reviewed in the United States on March 5, 2023, Bought this so I could check out a john woo movie with my brother, heard that hard boiled was good. As good as it gets. Hard Boiled (Ultimate Edition) Blu-ray Review - IGN Com.I'm sure that you know the film inside out so I'll just give you the tech stuff. , Media Format There's the John Woo fan who prefers. So then, action-lovers, what are you waiting for? : Clearly they have done something for this High Definition release, but it looks like they have left some scenes untouched (complete with heavy grain and print damage) and other scenes DNRd into oblivion (in true Predator style), so it hardly comes as an upgrade, and in fact some might argue that it is inferior to the previous DVD incarnations. Full of super cool beautifully choreographed, almost balletic shoot outs. Brilliant john Woo classic. Hard Boiled is a bit more convoluted. you left out one of the best: the R2 PAL release from Tartan. Your recently viewed items and featured recommendations. Crossing my fingers as I've always been surprised Criterion never tried to rerelease these. actually I've never read anything online denoting that a 4K restoration of 'The Killer' had been done. In English with optional subtitles. Please click on a keyword to search for similar items. : It was amazing - with an ordinary crime story. : It amazes me that no one has yet to remaster John Woo's back catalog. I was thrown at first as the opening credits suggest its going to be a boxed version of the film, but afterwards it shifts to a full screen. Yes, I do mean, YES, the stuntwork and the gunplay in HARD BOILED is freakin' awesome but the final result became (to me, obviously) ok enough already this shoulda' been over 15 minutes ago. The two men must come to terms with their allegiance to the force and their loyalty to each other as they try to take down the gangsters. Best Buy provides online shopping in a number of countries and languages. Speaking of Fortune Star and John Woo, film movement is releasing Heroes Shed No Tears at the end of the month for those interested. I really, really love this one, and have the old DVD, but would love a better version. Page 22- Hard Boiled (1992) (Ultimate Edition) Blu-ray Movies - North America Hard Boiled (1992) (Ultimate Edition) - Page 22 - Blu-ray Forum Blu-ray Movies 4K 3D DVD Digital MA iTunes Prime Games People Shop online at Best Buy in your country and language of choice. There was an error retrieving your Wish Lists. I prefer The Killer. ), The special features on disc 2 consist primarily of in-depth interviews with, 's core creative team. Is a remastered Blu-ray of this film on the horizon? , Product Dimensions "The Killer is too dark!" : : Sadly, Hard Boiled was John Woo's last Hong Kong film, but there's some incredible stuff here, including a two-and-a-half-minute action sequence filmed in a single take that boasts a higher body-count and more stunts than your average Hollywood flick has in its entire running time! Still have my Criterion Laserdiscs of The Killer and Hard Boiled hanging on my wall Autographed by Danny lee, Jon Woo, Chow yun Fat, would love to see both titles back in the catalog to watch on blu. With dialogue presented clearly and coherently from across the frontal array, we get keen presentation of both the effects and the pacey score, which even showcase some dynamics and directionality across the surround channels. Both are great films. , MPAA rating Never seen it at the movies, of course! Overall worth a buy if you're looking for a copy of Hard Boiled. I tried different settings on my Oppo UDP 203 and none of them made a difference. If you dont yet have this title in your collection, however, then you could consider picking up this competitively-priced release. Customer Ratings & Reviews - Bestbuy The subs aren't as good as others I've seen, but they get the point across well enough to enjoy the film anyhow. The JP disc is proper HD from a 35mm element and completely different than the Dragon Dynasty BD (which is now believed to be an upscale but doesn't suffer the 25fps ghosting of The Killer). Hard Boiled Blu-ray ( | Ultimate Edition) , MPAA rating Hard Boiled (1992) Hard Boiled Blu-ray offers decent video and great audio in this overall recommended Blu-ray release Criticized for "unnecessary violence," Inspector Yuen continues. DVD and Blu-ray collectors share pictures of their latest buys and pickups, pictures of their entire collection shelves, we have contests for FREE DVDs, Movie Party nights (watch a movie with 15 strangers), experts give advice and help find the best deals, and more!

Davinci Resolve Fusion Text Not Showing, Is Naruto Storm 4 Crossplay Pc And Xbox, 5 Points Of Arminianism Scripture, How Quickly Will My Acne Clear After Mirena Removal, Ryan Sickler Twin Brother, Articles H