Mix flour, 3/4 cup sugar, and salt in a large bowl. And no you dont have to be from a specific region to be able to cook a good recipe that hails from said region. Its a food that was designed to hit the most basal pleasures in the most trying of conditions. *** This is where the directions are different from making the bread! Knead the dough into a log shape and cut into, When rolling up the pepperoni rolls, try to keep the. Next, arrange 6 slices of pepperoni over one side of the dough. Set the rolls on the baking sheet with the seam side down. Melt the butter Adding 2 tsp of your preferred sauce to the dough before assembling the rolls, plus sprinkling a dash of dried parsley after youve applied the butter mixed coating helps to elevate these wonderful servings. using a basting brush, brush a light coat of olive oil onto dough. I deliberately removed the pepperoni, savoring that first. And I didnt even give the worst rating; a 1 star, thats possible. Required fields are marked *. Learn how your comment data is processed. To make classic Pepperoni Rolls you need: The first step towards the most amazingly thick, chewy and cheesy, warm, delicious pepperoni rolls is to make the pizza dough. Garnish with sprig of flat leaf parsley. Meanwhile, return the pot of water to a boil. Or just make your own. Older kids who are confident in the kitchen can swing this recipe with little to no assistance. Making this recipe? Its much more American to quarrel and make up a fight where none really exists these days it seems. Thats their opinion and they are welcome to share it. Add the water and yeast mixture to the flour, along with the buttermilk mixture. They are also great for an easy, kid friendly dinner. All the recipes on this site are developed, written, tested, and tasted by me. (This is my favorite part.) . Ive lived in WV my entire life and although these look and sound good, these are NOT WV pepperoni rolls. Notify me via e-mail if anyone answers my comment. Buckilvrss1@gmail.com. Sprinkle generously with parmesan and roll up. Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface until it's a very flat, large rectangle, about 11 by 18 inches. Press or roll dough balls into circles at least 1/4-inch bigger than the diameter of your pepperoni (for me, that was about 4 1/2-inch circumference). This lets you know that the yeast is activating.) You can also brush the melted butter mixture on again at the end of baking if you want. Thanks for the retort a full year after the fact. Then place 4-5 pieces of pepperoni (depending on size) in the middle and roll it up. I used to work in a deli and their famous sausage rolls dough looked just like this, so I felt good going in. Stir well. Read More. I even make them without the pepperoni and lots of cheese for my vegetarian! Mancini's is a little bakery in Market Square that I love to stop by every now and again for a pepperoni roll. Easy Pepperoni Crescent Rolls Recipe | 365 Days of Baking Would frozen dinner roll or frozen yeast roll bread dough work? Just before baking, gently brush melted butter over the top of each pepperoni roll. Store the leftover pepperoni rolls in resealable plastic bags at room temperature or in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. I have to say since you felt compelled to actually stand up and defend the author(for what reason I have no idea), do you even have a horse in this race? Even though this simple pepperoni dish takes just 10 minutes to assemble and 10 minutes to cook, youll be so ready to dip that first bite in the marinara sauce! Did we miss your favorite place for pepperoni rolls in Pittsburgh? Familiarity with pepperoni rolls indicates youre from northeast Appalachia, but theyre so good that its a shame for them to remain confined to this area. With this recipe, you, too, can bake pepperoni rolls with love to transform your day into a special occasion. Slowly incorporate flour, one cup at a time, until all four cups are mixed into the dough. I usually never leave reviews, but I had to on these because they are absolutely delicious and so easy to make. About 1/2 tablespoon. Pinch the seams closed. Add the noodles on top of the sauce. The location in the strip is definitely better but the pepperoni roll was great! Pepperoni Rolls are a West Virginia speciality! Return to pot and adjust seasoning to taste using salt and white pepper. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Then sprinkle the dough pieces with garlic powder. Sara is a chef, culinary educator, and author of three cookbooks, The Pocket Pawpaw Cookbook, Tasting Ohio and The Fruit Forager's Companion. Thanks I guess. Love your recipes! The way you state your comment seems to imply you dont think I did. Cook uncovered for 30-40 minutes. Get family-friendly recipes your gang will devour. See the photo below for reference. Gradually whisk in the chicken broth, cream, cream cheese, Parmesan cheese and heat for 3 to 5 minutes or until slightly thickened and the sauce is smooth. Who knows what is truly authentic, the doughs originally used were made by depression-era women in the home, and most likely varied from home to home. Yes, this is a labor intensive recipe. After all, it IS called a pepperoni roll. Easy Pepperoni Rolls - The Gunny Sack Your email address will not be published. Pepperoni rolls can be served warm or at room temperature. Divide dough into 8 even balls. Pepperoni Roll-Ups Recipe: How to Make It - Taste Of Home And lastly, they definitely have more pepperoni than what is in the ones shown here. Im from Fairmont WV and these are a prefect representation of pepperoni rolls from there. Im sorry I used the system as it was designed and honestly rated the recipe as I saw fit. If you dont believe me make a batch of these and take them with you for comparison the next time you go to West Virginia and you will clearly see just how off the mark they are when you sample them next to one bought in central W. Va. Youll quickly realize just how in adequate these are in stacking up to a true pepperoni roll. Can you make these ahead of time and freeze? The location in the strip is definitely better but the pepperoni roll was great! So good. Im sorry if you dont appreciate that concept but comments are open forums not just complimentary echo chambers to appease people who are so caught up in fandom they refuse to recognize something may also have negative aspects as well. Slowly incorporate flour, one cup at a time, until all four cups are mixed into the dough. Theres not a right way to do it. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic. You may have to knead by hand. Allow them to rise for another 30 minutes. Required fields are marked *. If you are short on time you can use 2 pounds of frozen (thawed) bread or pizza dough instead. Roll dough around pepperoni, pinch the edges closed, and place rolls on the prepared cookie sheet. Hope you enjoy! Roll up the pizza dough, enclosing the cheese stick, pinching the seams closed. Stir well. Younger kids will love helping with the kneading and shaping. Serves 3-5 as a meal or 8-10 as an appetizer. Allow them to rise another 30 minutes. Heat oven to 375F. This gives it a rich flavor and helps keep the rolls soft throughout as they are meant to be. Hello :) They had the best in town. These are absolutely AMAZING! This is my opinion and Ive given many reasons for why I believe it is not a true representative of a good pepperoni roll recipe. Leave about one inch space from edge of dough to filling. My family thanks you Kasey! Though former coal miner Giuseppe Joseph Argiro is often credited with producing the first commercial pepperoni roll at his bakery in 1920 in Fairmont, West Virginia, its possible he himself did not generate the idea. Youll wind up with 6 rolls per sheet. 2 pounds pizza dough. If you grew up eating pepperoni rolls like I did, you know you are lucky. Turn out onto floured surface and roll about 14" x 8" oblong. In cases where multiple ingredient alternatives are given, the first listed is calculated for nutrition. Sure you can! Now the fun stuff! Whether youre here to cook or to learn, there will be a spot for you at the table.Order the Tried & True Cookbooks. Whisk together egg white and water. Now imagine having a greasy, salty bundle of puffy carbs to look forward to. Stacey is the creator of The Soccer Mom Blog, a Houston Texas mom blog that focuses on positive living for women and families. After the dough has risen, punch down to remove any large pockets of air. Pepperoni Rolls are a big deal in West Virginia, in fact, they are the official state food! Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. In a thick bottomed pan saut the onions and garlic in the olive oil over medium heat till onions are clear. West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls are warm, flaky, and stuffed with spicy pepperoni and cheese. For one, WV rolls are not crunchy, they are soft, For another thing, they do NOT have all that cheese, if any, in them. Allow the mixer to knead the dough for 5 minutes. Quick and easy dinner after a long day of grocery shopping. I clearly stated that I have been on a hunt for a truly authentic pepperoni roll recipe and that after this one failed to satisfy that the search continues. If you are following a medically restrictive diet, please consult your doctor or registered dietitian before preparing this recipe for personal consumption. Besides the basicsplenty of pepperoni baked in a single-serving fluffy rollpepperoni rolls have widely accepted variations throughout West Virginia and the eastern Ohio River Valley. Serve with your favorite marinara or pasta sauce. Although it certainly does help. Repeat with the remaining dough. Could I use pureed carrots, and possible shredded carrot and raisins. It doesn't have to be pretty or perfect. place back into greased bowl, cover and allow to rise again for 15 minutes, doubling in size again. The diameter should be about the size of the palm of your hand. Place all ingredients in bowl of food processor. This post may contain affiliate links. Read More. Add the yeast, lukewarm water, and sugar to the bowl. As an aside, I also made this recipe. Quick and Easy Pepperoni Rolls | The Recipe Critic Chicken and Rapini Penne Pasta - Allrecipes Overhandling your dough can make it tough, so just let the dough take you where it wants to go and embrace any wonkiness in your rolls. Love them so much! Place the dough in a large, greased bowl, cover, and let rise on your counter until doubled in bulk, 1 to 2 hours. The state is in the bottom 10 for income, but you dont need money to be considered as 1 of the top 5 for hospitality, friendliness and beauty. :) My time and money are too valuable to me to waste on things that dont satisfy me. Amazon Basics Silicone, Non-Stick, Food Safe Baking Mat - Pack of 2, Forget packaged pizza bites! Repeat until all the dough balls have been filled. It great to hear when some people enjoy a recipe but I also want to hear from those who did not enjoy and the reasons why. Their cheesy focattia (did I spell that right?) Compliments you when you've had a bad day. When I moved two hours north, away from the Ohio River Valley, I was shocked to learn pepperoni rolls are not universal. Welcome to All Things Mamma where I share family favorite recipes that are easy to make with simple, everyday ingredients PLUS tricks to inspire and live your best life! Privacy Policy Disclosure Contact Powered by CultivateWP. Easy Pepperoni Roll - Spend With Pennies Water that's too hot will kill the yeast (you can tell because there will be no foam). Starting with a long side, roll the dough up tightly and pinch the seams and ends to seal. My mother would occasionally buy a few from Brownie Bakery, and as a latchkey kid Id come home after school and work my way through one while watching reruns of The Flintstones. Instead of trying to tear someone else who was just being honest about their experience down, maybe you could instead talk about your positive experience with this recipe. If youve ever been to West Virginia, youll know that West Virginia style pepperoni rolls are everywhere. Most doughs do tend to have some sugar, and some have milk, still, nothing is set in stone. Bake at 375 for 30-40 minutes or until dough is golden brown. Cooked hamburger can be a great alternative to the pepperoni, or even adding in some onions, black olives, and green peppers, too. Im giving this only a 2 star simply because you called it a West Virginia pepperoni roll. Thats their experience and they are free to share it without me debating them on it. Repeat the procedure; alternating the color of the peppers until the terrine is full, finishing with a layer of peppers on top. Mix tuna, lemon juice, olive oil, black olives, parsley, garlic and celery. Thank you so much for sharing this recipe! People also bring homemade pepperoni rolls to parties and potlucks. Directions 1 Preheat the oven to 400F. Easy Pepperoni Pizza Rolls | Life, Love and Sugar Roll into a rectangle 1/8" thick on floured surface. Came out amazing! Ingredients 2 loaves (1 pound each) frozen bread dough, thawed 1 stick (6-1/2 ounces) pepperoni, cut into 32 slices 6 ounces fresh mozzarella cheese, cut into 32 cubes 1 jar (14 ounces) pizza sauce, warmed Directions Divide 1 loaf of dough into 16 pieces; roll each into a 3-in. Mancini pepperoni roll fundraiser: Fill out & sign online | DocHub (Do channel your inner pizza maker and slam the dough on the table as often as possible!). If cheese is in them, its a very slight amount. This is the quickest 20-minute dinner that your entire family will love and with over 2600 shares on Pinterest and Facebook! We have family in clarksburg as well as Salem. However, I like this method, made with easy-to-find pepperoni slices, that swirl through the center. I can, however, see West Virginia across the Ohio River from my office window. Pepperoni Rolls Recipe To the author, Thank you for the recipe! When dough has doubled in size, turn out onto lightly floured surface and punch down. But they consisted of frozen bread dough, that's what we did growing up. Place 4-5 pepperoni slices in center of dough. Little mouths will get burned quickly if you dont allow for a bit of cooling. I showed up around lunchtime to Brush the rolls with half of the melted butter. Kim, I actually just cooked these from the freezer in my air fryer on 400 for 8-10 minutes. Antonio Mancini established Mancini Packing Company in 1922. Menu - Mancini's Char House Keep the cooled rolls at room temperature in a tightly sealed plastic bag or wrapped in plastic wrap for up to 3 days. ? this is my dads EXACT recipe too! Shingle the pepperoni slices over the square, leaving a 1/4-inch border around the dough. I graduated from a catholic high school and we used practically the same recipe to make pepperoni rolls for runs raisers. All you literally have to do is roll out the dough, cut, add in pepperoni, and mozzarella string cheese stick then roll it all tightly together. I finally stopped in for lunch today. It should be more similar to a challah bread than anything else but even then thats not quite right. I consider this simple pizza recipe one of the easiest lunch or dinner ideas, ever. Transfer to a cooling rack. Serve warm. Pinch the ends of the dough to hold the pepperoni inside. directions. Sign up for the T&T newsletter for easy recipes delivered straight to your inbox. Let them cool completely before transferring to an airtight container and store. Pepperoni Roll - Menu - Mancini's Bakery - Pittsburgh - Yelp If needed, add the remaining 1/2 cup (64g) flour, bit by bit. Theres no right or wrong answer here and Im not the final word on pepperoni rolls by any stretch of the imagination . I even think that these are great for an after-school snack for the kids! All said and done I probably used 10 before I could even get it on the table to knead, and then it was super sticky. Puree the whole soup in a food processor or blender. Add half of chicken stock, Bring soup to a simmer, add the rest of stock and bring to a simmer. Allow the yeast to bloom (foam) for 10 minutes while you gather the remaining ingredients. Im going to pin this to Pinterest to try, but will add more pepperoni and a lot less cheese. Authentic West Virginia Pepperoni Rolls Recipe - YouTube ;). Being from West Virginian, and having the pleasure of eating many pepperoni rolls, I can attest to the fact that this is a wonderful recipe. Roll the dough out to about an 1111 square. The kids also call them pepperoni sticks as theyre gobbling them down. Brush egg wash onto tops of rolls. Add Mancini roasted peppers, tomato products, cayenne pepper and lemon juice. Roll the dough up. I showed up around lunchtime to attempt to order one, and they were able to accomodate my request by 4pm. But theres much more to pepperoni rolls. I mean I certainly havent been attacking anyone elses positive reviews here. ! I added extra pepperonis, so I only cut my dough into 8 rectangles so it would seal. Making a tiny tear and letting out some of the heat might help to speed up the cooling process. Whisk in the honey and buttermilk, and heat just until warm to the touch (do not boil). Serve with Oliverio peppers and cheese or eat them on their own! I did it with homemade bread dough and they were not messy! Give it a try! https://www.countryclubbakery.net/product-page/3-dozen-pepperoni-rolls, Wow! Sprinkle garlic powder on the classic pepperoni rolls as well for another yummy flavor! Divide 1 cup of mozzarella cheese between the 8 pieces of dough. Parking sucks, but I'm not taking off a point for that! Cant forget to pair it with the oliverio peppers or its just not the same! Melt the butter and stir in the parmesan cheese. Place another row of 3 pepperoni slices next to the first. Are we sisters?!?!! Storebought pizza dough crust makes this simple dish go a lot faster than making the dough homemade or using frozen rolls and it really does taste just like you ordered it from your favorite local pizza joint! The dough should be sticky and hard to stir. First off you misused he word Virginian when you meant Virginia. Bake until golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Mix for 2 minutes on low speed to wake up the yeast. Evenly top with the mozzarella slices and half of the pepperoni. However, we have each others back. Thank you! A true pepperoni roll should consist of an almost sweet tasting bread of the softest and pillowy proportions. Top with pepperoni and two squares of mozzarella. I certainly havent gone around arguing with anyone thats left positive feedback. Bake for 15-20 minutes, until golden. Read More. Water that's too hot will kill the yeast (you can tell because there will be no foam). Gently brush melted butter over the top of each pepperoni roll. I didnt attack the author. Make 6. Place cheese and pepperoni on one side, then roll. Entire family loved them. But one bite of these and you'll see it was well worth the effort! Any true West Virginian will understand that question, we may fight like cats and dogs. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); What kind of dough would this be? Brush egg all over cheeses and pepperoni. Lay pepperoni over the dough, slightly overlapping the pieces. Kneading will take approximately 15 minutes. Using your hands, flatten each piece into a small rectangle, about 4 inches square. And the eggwash is absolutely incorrect. Arrange 6 slices of pepperoni over one side of the dough. 3. Where to Find the Best Homemade Pepperoni Rolls in Pittsburgh I have about a 10 minute walk back to my office and it still burns my fingers when I pull it apart. Will most certainly be back! Add the sugar and salt and stir to dissolve. In a small saucepan, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium-low heat. We think not. Even easier cleanup! So delicious! Definitely! If it does not proof, re-start with new yeast. Thunder Herd or Mountaineer? Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until it doubles in size. 2010 2023 A Spicy Perspective. The rolls were mouth watering and they never failed to make the money as well as our goal. Sherri Spring. The italian loaf is always fluffy and just a little crispy around the edges, and they always have a variety of breads to choose from, depending on your mood.The really lovely thing about this location is that you can also nab a Prantl's treat while you pick up some bread. The family just might request these more than homemade pepperoni pizza and when you see what an easy meal they are, you might agree. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Its also great as a game-day snack like my Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls. My boys love when I make these pepperoni rolls for their lunches. I'm here to help you make mealtime memorable, and life a little spicy! Cover with a towel and place in a warm, draft-free space to allow dough to rise until doubled in size. ), set out three baking sheets and line them with parchment paper. Add one stick of pepperoni on the right side of the dough and fold the dough over just the pepperoni. Let it set for 10 minutes until bubbly. If too cold, the yeast won't activate. These Homemade Pepperoni Rolls are made with refrigerated pizza dough, mozzarella cheese sticks, and pepperoni for an easy dinner or snack! Brush a piece of pepperoni with oil and place in the center of the circle, along with 2 tablespoons shredded mozzarella. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. Pepperoni Roll Recipes - BobHeffner.com Enjoy once cooled slightly with a side of marinara. Knead the dough into a log shape and cut into 20 equal pieces. Like yours though, you can eat them room temperature, or heat them if you like. Be well. Layered about 8-10 pepperoni slices and the mozzarella string cheese stick. Top each with about 1 tablespoon cheese. Warming Turmeric Chicken and Mushroom Soup. Pepperoni Roll Recipe | Michael Symon | Food Network Some people fully encase the pepperoni in their dough, but I like a little peeking out the ends as a visual enticement to tip folks off that they are in for a treat. Allow the mixer to "knead" the dough for 5 minutes. So have you made this recipe yourself? circle. Fold the dough over the pepperoni, like a burrito, and place on the. $25.00 Bread Original Twist Italian . Please go to the settings menu on your phone related to your web browser, and re-enable JavaScript. Instructions. When you visit the site, Dotdash Meredith and its partners may store or retrieve information on your browser, mostly in the form of cookies. Your email address will not be published. Spread a generous amount of flour on counter or large cutting board. One at a time, press and stretch each piece into a 6-inch circle. Leave for 5 minutes until you see foaming action. Yay!! I dont need to flour my counterif the dough sticks, it needs more flour. Great for game day appetizers. Are you a customer or the owner/manager of the business youd like to add? Thats usually how you buy them in corner stores. If you cant find the stick pepperoni, you can use slices, too! below pepperoni, layer provolone cheese, then another pepperoni, them mozzarella. Inspired by this old-world tradition, Mancinis has used this same technique for grilling steak and lobster for more than 70 years, hand-selecting steaks and seafood and flawlessly broiling every piece on our open charcoal broilers. What makes these snacks so memorable is how simple yet amazingly satisfying they are. Place a piece of cheese on the short side of each triangle; sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Sprinkle the dough pieces with garlic powder. Have a great day:). Shape and proof the rolls according to the directions in the recipe below. Can I use store bought pizza dough instead of making it myself? First off, it took me a lot more than 8 cups of flour. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. And I am glad I read your tips because I started to bake them seam side up. Can these be made ahead, put in the refrigerator, then baked the next day? Maybe you could post your authentic dough recipe? Roll dough out into a 12x12 square. Unwrap the crescent roll canister and gently remove the dough. These fluffy little rolls stuffed with two neat little sticks of pepperoni are just plain perfect. Pepperoni Rolls Recipe (From Scratch!) - Simply Recipes Put a layer of the sauce into the bottom of your 9 x 13-inch baking dish. bread, cinnamon rolls, lunch, West Virginia. Sprinkle yeast over water; let stand for 5 minutes. Sprinkle with oregano. Roll up, starting at shortest side of triangle and rolling to opposite point. Anytime you feel like it! I decided I cannot make them, Ive tried a million times so heres my solution for people like me! Place large shallow pan filled with boiling water in the bottom rack of the oven. (-) Information is not currently available for this nutrient. If you made this recipe, please rate the recipe below and leave a comment to tell me how you liked it! Roll each piece of dough into a rectangle slightly smaller than 10 inches x 15 inches. apart on a greased baking sheet. Try to avoid using flour on your surface, which will make the dough harder to pinch closed. Mix with a wooden spoon until the dough just comes together. Position racks in the upper and lower thirds and line two baking sheets with parchment. Process all ingredients in a food processor until smooth. I ran over after work to pick it up and still made it to my party on time. So no I dont have a good pepperoni roll recipe to share. Get them for $3.50 each, or two for $6. Flatten the dough ball between your palms into a slightly oblong shape. I had full intentions on getting a treat from Prantl's on my way out, but i couldn't even finish the roll. Brush terrine mold or cake pan with olive oil them completely cover bottom later of mold with one color of pepper. 5. Add Marinara, Ranch, or Horseradish Dipping Sauce for an additional cost. Just quickly reheat and enjoy as a snack, appetizer, or lunch anytime! I have to disagree with the Pepperoni roll connesieur Spread the surface with marinara sauce, then sprinkle generously with Parmesan. Before baking, brush the rolls with melted butter. Its a great recipe! Cut dough in half evenly, the cut each of those halves in half again. Spread the pizza sauce on the dough and then top with the shredded mozzarella cheese. Do this with each roll. Here are some easy appetizer recipes that are perfect with Pepperoni Rolls: You can spray the pan with nonstick spray or line it with parchment paper, whatever you prefer. Allow the yeast to bloom (foam) for, Then turn the mixer on and add in the flour, eggs, and salt. Do better yall! I dont believe that this is a particularly good recipe, thus its outcome is not going to be very satisfactory no matter who attempts to make it. Unlike pepperoni rolls, I may not be from West Virginia. Place 3 slices pepperoni, slightly overlapping, on center of each triangle. .any suggestions for ingredients. After your rolls are assembled, rest them one final time. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let the dough rise until it doubles in size. I do two sticks per roll, but you can load them up with more pepperoni. Smear pesto all over the cheese. I walked aimlessly

Tim Blue Journalist Australia, Why Are Polders Important To The Netherlands, Articles M