I just didnt do it Didnt seem important to me. Heres another more granular look at the summaries from each of the tests. I actually touch on that point exactly at the end of the Sound Test Post, and have charts showing those aspects and even point out a few noteworthy performers. SureFire Procomp Standalone Muzzle Brake for 5.56 mm & 7.62 mm rifles . Precision Armament M11 Muzzle Brake is the best performing side venting muzzle brake with up to 68% recoil reduction, 0 dust signature, and minimal gas blow back to the shooter. Cadex Precision Rifle MX1 Muzzle Brake 5/824 $ 249.99. I rewatched your test video thinking it had to be something with the way you where shooting but i could find nothing in the video to fault. I like Shrewd brakes because they look like part of the barrel instead of looking like the brake on a Russian main line battle tank. I bought the Rat Worx Big Chubby. Its three-chamber design reduces a good amount of shoulder pain as well. Using a muzzle brake indoors is not advised. Field Tests & Studies, Reviews & Field Tests, Suppressors & Muzzle Brakes Im surprised that Surefire is not on the list. I may be misunderstanding the tests, but I think measuring muzzle flash, staying on target, and recoil reduction are the big three. I know I can be a little long-winded. I have the Ultra 9 and on my 6.5 creedmoor bolt rifle, it is completely hearing safe with no ear pro. The spiral port outlets along with the parabolic internal taper significantly reduces recoil while not making it overly loud. Went out today with my first suppressor. The average target distance is year was 1,180 yards, with 70% of the targets beyond 1,000 yards! Absolutely love your articles. Buy Online with Londero Sports Muzzle Brake Store Canada - Londero Sports, Firearms Accessories, Firearms. If recoil reduction is the most important, then the Alamo Four Star or APA Fat B* might be the best choice. Hawkins Precision Muzzle Brakes Hawkins Precision offers a wide variety of muzzle brakes to fit any rifle application you can think of. And also if they have any effect on the muzzle brakes ability to reduce recoil? Ultimately, the nut behind the gun is almost always the weakest link. The guys this weekend that were next to me on the line when I was shooting my Sako .308 with a Lil B* brake were not happy with me! !NEW! . Im steering more towards the type that directs the sound more to the sides than back towards the shooter. It was first released for 223, and is only available in 1/228 threads at this point but I continue to hassle Jered every chance I get to come out with a Little B* model with those same top ports, because Im with you. Its based on a recent survey I conducted of the top 125 shooters in the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) and top 50 shooters in the National Rifle League (NRL), which are points-race leagues based on the biggest long-range, field-based rifle matches across the country. My goal is to simply provide the data, so you can make an informed decision for your specific application. Your observed Staying on Target results were very evident. In fact, 73% of these guys were using one of those brakes I just mentioned. SilencerCo claims the Omegais the lightest, shortest, quietest, full-auto rated, titanium .30 caliber centerfire rifle silencer on the market. Field & Stream Online Editors Well, first off, some rifles absolutely require a muzzle brake, including the. Recently, I fired over an Oehler 35p, Magneto Speed, and LabRadar all at the same time. Here is what 1,011 rifle shooters said was most important: I created a formula that calculates an overall rating completely based on that reader feedback. It's clear when you walking around most major precision rifle competitions that the majority of rifles have a muzzle brake on them. are they running large caliber guns? I dont know that (wish I did) but that is my hunch. No more guessing where the brake ports will line up once you tighten it down! Made from high-strength nitrided steel. 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Test Summary: Hit Probability At Long-Range, 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Test Part 5: Live-Fire Group Sizes & Precision, 6.5 Creedmoor Ammo Test Part 4: Live-Fire Muzzle Velocity Details. Lol. Just dont tell my wife I said that! With a through bore of .350" the Mini QD Brakes are compatible with all of our YHM Phantoms, Turbos, Turbo Ks, Resonators, and Nitros. They have several brakes, my favourite is the Muzzle Rise Eleminator, I like the design where there are exhaust ports on the sides and on top of the brake to keep muzzle rise down. Thanks, Tim. So those first baffles could be integral to the suppressor, or to the muzzle brake within the suppressor. These can dramatically change the feel of your rifle. I started by including the most popular precision rifle muzzle brakes. Shop high performing muzzle brakes, flash hiders, and control accessories for Ar-15, AK-47, and long range bolt action rifles Add to Wish List. These include 2 and 3 port round brakes from .687 to 1.000 diameter for seamless gunsmith installs, the gunsmith install Tank Brake, and the Self-Timing Tank ST Muzzle Brake. The brake that is the best for a heavy 6mm competition rifle, may not be the best for a lightweight, long-range, hunting rifle, and it may not be the best for a big tactical rifle chambered for a magnum cartridge. MPA Brake Street Price = $139. Copyright 2023 PrecisionRifleBlog.com, All Rights Reserved. under the assumption that if the bore diameter mismatch only caused a 1-3% delta in the recoil data then the muzzle rise variance would be negligible, correct? Im not sure what kind of impact theyd have. Ive been approached by countless manufacturers with offers to sponsor this website. They might be great designs, but none the top shooters are using them so they didnt make it in this round. I could be way off, but flash seems like something military guys need to worry about, but not civilians. http://www.multigunmedia.com/ar15-comps-pt-2.pdf, Patrick, that is AWESOME work! This bolt action game really just has one thing driving selection: precision. Is that right? Also, I took your advice and took the Accuracy 1st course twice. There may be other brands out there that are excellent, but those are the two Id personally consider buying and what Id recommend to family or friends. Other thoughts? Think about the goal of the suppressor company making the muzzle brake. A couple of years ago, I created a recoil test system with high-speed sensors and tested a bunch of muzzle brakes. The TMB-S (Tuner Muzzle Brake - Standard) Available for Pre-Order Soon! This post summarizes the eye-opening results for the massive muzzle brake field test Ive worked on the past few months. Honestly, I was shocked. Cut recoil and spot impacts with our MDT Elite and Competition muzzle brakes. While this field test is absolutely an original, valuable tool for evaluating muzzle brakes, people shouldnt take this as gospel. APA has been the industry leader in muzzle brakes since 2014. I ordered one at the beginning of June and still no word on when it will ship (over four months now). Were all just trying to figure this stuff out, and help the shooting community. Unlike traditional muzzle brakes, t FFL orders are delayed 7-8 business days from receipt of FFL license. Glad you found my content helpful. 22 Muzzle Brake for Ruger 22/45, 10/22, Buck Mark, SW22 Victory & more That doesnt make it dramatically quieter or pleasant to be around, but it may make it safer and more bearable for the shooter next to you on the line. The Impact Precision is a 2 port design, with one blast chamber larger than the other, and the Blast Tamer is available in 3 or 4 port designs (all with evenly spaced baffles). We manufacture muzzle brakes for rifles and shotguns with threaded and non-threaded barrels, eliminating the need for a gunsmith to thread your barrel. You should check out that data again: Muzzle Brakes Ability To Stay On Target The Ruger Precision Rifle is incredibly modular. It made me a better shooter. Might I suggest Since you already have the ratings and the prices, you can also rank the muzzle brakes by best value. The results showed a 6mm brake only resulted in a 1-3% difference in recoil reduction over a 30 caliber brake, in terms of both overall momentum and peak force, among all 4 muzzle brake designs! I was trying to decide how much weight to put on each test, and finally decided to just ask you guys. Dont suppose you would know if much of the others can readily screw on to or can easily be machined to fit that 1/2-28 thread pitch would you? There has been a lot of innovation and new muzzle brake designs come onto the market over the past couple years, as gunsmiths have added CNC machines to their shop, so Id encourage you to check them out. To help make the process easier, I assembled my top upgrades to crank the Ruger Precision Rifle to 11. In fact, TBAC offers both a brake-attached and a direct thread version of their new Ultra series, and I tested both of them. I think its a great idea. So straight baffles can be safer and may also reduce the shock wave you have to endure behind the gun (and certainly those around you have to endure), but I just wanted to make sure you werent thinking there would be a lot of difference in sound. I really, really appreciate your willingness to share. If you have good performance with the Yankee Hill suppressors, stick with them! Maybe one day Ill be able to provide some hard data on suppressors to make the decision a little easier. Precision Armament Muzzle Brakes It looks similar to the Hollands Radial B you tested, but the finish on the brake is not pretty. Great question, Russell! This brake also features an integral locking collar, which means it doesnt have to be timed to barrel either. While most competition shooters are not basing suppressor purchases on hard data I can attest to the validity of TB products being ranked at #1. Description. The length does come into play, especially if the longer brake has more baffles or more surface area (like the Center Shot Rifles Blast Tamer models the 30 caliber model I tested was longer and had 4 baffles, where the 6 and 6.5mm versions were shorter and just had 3 baffles). A Data-Driven Approach To Precision Rifles, Optics & Gear. I expected the diameter of the bullet hole in the brake to make more of a difference. Wow, John. Thats for the kind words. Im not saying they are NOT precise, but Id think theyd be durable. When I was looking at the results of your muzzle break study does the APA micro bastard have the same recoil reduction as the fat bastard and little bastard that you did the studies on? I am an old-school gunsmith and have installed several Shrewd muzzlebrakes for my customers. The pros didnt say recoil reduction was the most important quality. I plan to go back and add that info the Muzzle Brake Line-Up post sometime this next week. Good work Cal! The rear of the brake requires a chamfer to blend perfectly to your barrel. If you are on an improvised rest on a barricade that is not very sturdy (which we often are), and you fire a 22 rimfire or a 338 Lapua which do you think will allow you to spot your impact? I can understand the confusion on the pricing chart. Why no flash test am I missing something? This seems like an issue on your end of the site since I havent noticed it with any other website and it still behaves the same with a fresh installation of the browser, something about it just doesnt play nice with Chrome. I finally got my brake. Ive been shooting with a top shooter running that and one of the guys was giving him a hard time, saying it looked like a sexual device in the end of his barrel! A huge contribution to all of us shooters. Are all the muzzle brakes on RPR's (30 cal and smaller) the same diameter? See those posts for more details on why that was. The addition of a muzzle brake can influence the accuracy performance of the system and in fact, one manufacturers brakes resulted in accuracy going well outside the acceptable tolerance for all three samples! If you extend a 3 brake to be 6 long, its plausible you could see a minor improvement but if you then extend that to 12, Id be surprised if youd see any improvement. That was no small feat. . thank you for another excellent post. . I appreciate your comment. Im disappointed, after reading this article, that I own two Yankee Hill suppressors and six QD attachments. The guys over at APA have something similar on their new The Answer muzzle brake. Mr.Murphy is the principal of the school of hard knocks. I just hope everyone else learned as much as I did, and Im hopeful manufacturers will use this info to improve their products. The Gen 3 Precision Rifle comes with a new, free-float M-LOK handguard that provides greater clearance with large diameter objective lens scopes, while the factory-installed muzzle brake features a hybrid port design that reduces recoil by up to 40-60%, and reduces muzzle blast . I did that because the brake-attached version has a better lock-up than the direct-thread version. 338 Lapua to 50 BMG), because both of those seem to get you in a different type of product. Custom Muzzle Brakes for TC Barrels Im not saying all these guys are that utilitarian and unconcerned of looks (and most arent as good as Tyler either). But most see their match rifles as tools, and within this group of guys many of the tools have that well-used look! I dont want this part of the results to be misleading. They seem to have good marketing, so I assume there is a reason. Thanks, buddy! Does the length of a muzzle brake matter as far as recoil reduction goes? M11 Severe-Duty Muzzle Brake | Precision Armament I also setup a high-speed camera capable of recording 240 frames/second to record the laser movement through each shot. then looking at the recoil data it would seem to follow that the level of recoil attenuation and muzzle rise would be correlated, which it seems to be for every brake but the TANK! Hey, PJ. Timing a muzzle brake to a barrel means a gunsmith removes a very slight amount of material from the rear of the brake until the ports are facing the correct direction when the muzzle brake is tightened on the barrel (watch video of process). If you cant handle recoil, have a tactical rifle and dont mind what your rifle looks like, then get someone to install one of these more ugly and effective devices. If you didnt care about the size (and can get past the aesthetics), the JP Recoil Eliminator is a great choice. I dont believe in a one-size-fits-all best muzzle brake. There doesnt seem to be much out there to help with the decision at this point. Itd be fun for a brake fabricator to test that! For example, on the APA models, there are Gen I and Gen II models. Perfect timing Cal! The threads and distance to shoulder could vary by barrel, so you typically have to repeat this hassle when you switch barrels to ensure the ports are facing correctly. Thanks for the article Cal. They typically use burner barrels that are just left stainless (ie not Cerakoted), because they go through a couple a year. Great question, Chris. Cal, has that brand fallen out of favor? i know, im just day dreaming . The results were surprising! Cal Zant is the shooter/author behind PrecisionRifleBlog.com. The Omega is 7 long and weighs 14 ounces. Enjoy this type of data-driven information? Having said that, Id be surprised if any of these brakes affected precision in any measurable way. I really appreciate your Brake study. It was 7th out of around 20ish brakes tested, so not even in the bottom half and honestly there was a large group of them with very similar performance, so even saying 7th could be a bit misleading. I have been on stages that require you to take 4 shots in 10 seconds, or Ive seen guys run a 6 shot stage in 14 seconds. Thats why its unlikely Ill ever use a TOMB design as a stand-alone muzzle brake. That makes moving it from one barrel to another very easy, with no gunsmithing or hassle required. I just dont know. I found the feature of being able to remove and replace the threaded plugs to be handy in case you over ported the plugs. The recommendation might vary based on your specific application, but personally I find myself using the JEC and APA Little B* most often for a cartridge that size. Heres my analogy: If you got hit by a vehicle at 70 mph, it is going to hurt regardless of whether it was a compact Kia or a big truck. And dont let what these guys are using steal the joy of using what you already own. There are a significant amount suppressors represented, but muzzle brakes are far more common overall. Sound is much more complex than it seems! Best Suppressors & Muzzle Brakes - What The Pros Use Thats a big part of the reason I do this. I would love to hear your thoughts, hypothocies or speculations as to the why the TANK can perform 3x better as the next closest brake for muzzzle rise and be MERELY just above average for recoil, DID it like one of your test guns/loads significantly better on recoil than others (suggesting tunning for the the .308)? Best Rifle Ammo for the Money 19 Brands Tested! The MTU only tightens their brakes (if used at all) from the 10:00 position to the12:00 position, thus not putting any strain on the threads and pinching the bore.

Longest Ncaa Tournament Droughts, Is A Tomei Exhaust Legal In California, Leppington Town Centre Leasing, Opposite Of Jack Name, Surry County Sheriff Portal, Articles P