Q: How can I improve my pitching accuracy? One of my favorite ways to beat a big hitter is to throw hard and at the hands with inside pitches. These 10 throwing drills are player favorites and youth softball coach approved. Arms up to chest level. JavaScript is disabled. Place three softballs about three-fourths of the way from third to home. Next we throw 8 balls concentrating on arm speed. Place the pads of your fingers on the . Do not let pride stand in the way of producing a Great Athlete. Effective 8U, 10U & 12U Fastpitch Softball Drills - Covey Sports Courtney's 30 Day Challenge: Softball Pitcher Drills | STACK To power workouts and games, and to ensure a strong recovery, elite athletes take care to eat properly and to hydrate before, during and after workouts and competitions. Have you pitcher take a pitching position with the power line exactly underthe center of her body, feet equally far from the power line to each side. Need some drills or suggestions for 12yo DD | Discuss Fastpitch As Doug worded it to me when I first worked with him, think about most really good pitchers youve seen. Start with a full wind-up, then switch to a, Take two steps forward and release the ball. Make sure your pitcher is pointing her glove at the target with the wrist pointing up, which will in turn point the glove webbing straight up. You can adjust the size and weight of the medicine ball to your skill level. Use them in your next practice and then come back and share your results! Step back slightly with one foot. Tell the pitcher to do the pitching motion again, but this time to hit the handkerchief with their pitching hand. Cooling down drills decrease soreness, fatigue and boost flexibility. Infield Throwing Drill 2 by Pete Sprenkle. Injuries are part of the game, but in a pitcher they are nevitable. This is OK and itwill help the pitcher, however, it seldom gives the person catching a goodpoint of reference to see EXACTLY where the foot comes down. 5 Drills for Hitting the Outside Pitch - Coaches Insider DO NOT USE A STUCCO WALL a stucco wall is only around 1 inch thick and will be damaged. This will be very evident in the rear view. IF YOU HAVE SOMEONE TO CATCH as your pitcher is throwing, take a position about 8 feet in front of 2nd base and get down on one knee or sit on the power line to where your eyes are directly over it. Log in Find My Team. The best pitches a pitcher throws come from methodical practice designed to strengthen your pitching arm and develop your sense of timing. Move both shoulders in circles: one clockwise, one counter-clockwise. Maximize your sports performance with advice from todays top coaches and elite athletes. It will take a while to get the accuracy down. From the most basic game of catch to games where players are making the out, young players will learn about proper form and, eventually, how to throw with some MOJO. The first 2 players to hit the bucket gets to be team captains for the scrimmage that day. Concentrating on the proper position of the hand at the hip. I like to start each pitching practice with the players playing the 3-ball game. Find a solid concrete or foundation brick wall; a handball court wall is ideal. Maximize your performance with workouts, drills and advice from coaches and athletes from some of the top college wrestling programs in the nation in our wrestling training video library. LONG TOSSThis drill can be done either with a catcher or against a backstop. Note that for this drill, it might be too advanced for some 8U players. Features . Partner drills can also help. cvsoftball said: Every pitcher has one problem in common; sometimes you need or want to practice your pitching and cant come up with anyone to catch for you. "Stay Tall" | Discuss Fastpitch Softball Community A lot of pitchers throw very good floaters that are tough to hit, but why not have one the RIPS?? A: Improving your pitching accuracy requires a combination of proper mechanics and practice. Once you have become consistent at doing that, then work on throwing harder. I recently attended a clinic at Arizona State University that Linda Wells and her staff put on specifically for our team. Next you will put your other knee facing home plate. It goes like this: This drill can be done either with a catcher or against a backstop. These can be long toss, speed circles, triple-arm circles, etc. Now we have a taught power line from home plate to second base, except forthe 10 feet just in front of the rubber. 1a) Same drill, but when the pitcher drives the back knee to the front, she stays there, on balance, until the catcher throws the ball back. And often, if they do get a hold of one, its nothing more than a foul ball. While doing this, emphasize the proper weight distribution. The only true way to get accuracy is to have the pitcher throw pitches, pitches and more pitches. Repeat this drill in both directions. This has increased velocity, improved mechanics, etc. You cannot have your pitcher throwing pitches that cause damage to her arm or elbow. We try to end each of our practices with a speed/strength drill. This will relax you. If you have the room, do the long-toss drill. If she goes to either side, she was off-stride or off-balance. Keep leg strength in the plant leg when throwing, belly button towards catchers glove, and back facing target after the strike. Draw a line on the ground where she starts that pitch. Have her keep throwing and backing up to the point the ball just reaches her without hitting the ground. Now wehave established the 40 per cent mark. Have 2 teams of 5 players 1 player at each infield position including catcher (but not pitcher). Warm-up Drills Warm-ups are a must for any pitcher! Once she can do this and come pretty close to the correct speed/line, she is ready to try it on the batters. OFF SPEED PITCHINGTeaching your pitcher to throw Off-Speed. Softball Skills and Training Softball Pitching "Stay Tall" Texas McE Mar 2, 2020 Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web. Keep your arm out till the ball is released for extra power. Pitch a ball that crosses over the plate. They loosen the shoulder and get the blood flowing. The athletic recruiting process is a lot like dating, with college coaches/scouts and high-school student-athletes sizing each other up and searching for the right match. 3 Killer Softball Pitching Drills for Accuracy! Softball Drills: Batting, Pitching, Fielding If it crosses the plate, move back 5 feet and toss another one. . Now draw a line across the box dividing the zone into top and bottom halves. The pitcher should fall back along the straight line of force. One player has one ball, the other player has 2 balls. The trailing leg should stay bent at the knee. We throw 10 to 15 pitches at this distance. How To Increase Pitching Speed in Fastpitch Softball - Medium Dont mean to nit-pick, but is she leaning at release, or after release? Always start shoulder-width apart. SOFTBALL PITCHING DRILL FOR SPEED (Stacked Ball Drill) As I coach younger girls, I used 1 1/2 finishing nails and used every other seam (84 nails). Rock back into each foot until you feel level. Then I have them move in ten foot increments back until they are throwing from as far back as 60 feet. . Arm circles are great after intense softball throwing drills. These are ladies, not weight lifters. Many coaches and players overlook the importance the glove hand plays in the ability to control the ball when pitching. Softball Pitching Drills "Hit the Bucket" Drill Pull out first base and put a 3-4 ft wooden pole (old broomstick or shovel handle) into the base peg hole and put a bucket over the top of the stick. Place your mitt in a position where you can conceal your pitch signals. This will make it second nature for games! Toss the ball slightly higher than your head and watch for proper spin. It's a function of mechanics. What I found by this, is that when they do actually pitch, they do not drop their shoulders and make that swooping motion. This is the kind of exercise that you hardly notice doing after awhile. This will give the pitcher two speeds available for anyparticular pitch. Use this every time!! They are walk-ins, meaning that they are thrown while walking into the pitch. And dont forget to Like Us on Facebook, where we share more great drills, tips and suggestions. If she is not willing to sacrifice this time and effort, find another pitcher. Check. Watch the placement of the glove, the angle of it, and the angle of the wrist. I have been pitching mens fastpitch now for almost 20 years. Swing arms from side to side. Batters rely and depend on timing the pitchers motions to make that big decision when to pull the trigger and start their swing. Plant your heel to balance quickly. It almost has the feeling of falling back. Ok that was a bit harsh. No shifting forward or backward. Again take three to four more giant steps back, mark your line, and throw from there. Best Softball Catching Skills, Drills & Tips | TeamSnap The Correct Fastpitch Pitching Mechanics For Softball FOREARM STRENGTHHeres a tip a coach told me about quite a number of years ago. I told her all the technical stuff on power and control but she kept doing that old bowlers hook kick during her delivery. Softball Pitching Drills - Hands-on Guide - International Softball Check out STACKs workouts and drills tailored specifically for hockey players. Clubs & Leagues . Hold the position for 30-60 seconds or as long as you can keep the form. Return to starting position each repetition should take 23 seconds. Dont use I couldnt find a catcher as an excuse not to workout your pitching arm. When youre balanced, move to an overhead position. Next, larger and smaller circles (15 secs each). This is a difficult task, but a necessity. You will be able to locate problems in the mechanics area a lot faster this way. You will both be very surprised at how much you can tell aboutthe pitchers motions when you see it from behind. In addition to STACKs wrestling workouts, we also provide plenty of nutrition advice to help wrestlers make and maintain weight throughout their training. For more lacrosse training, nutrition and gear advice from the nations top coaches and players, see our lacrosse training videos. Thanks to Duffy ONeill for the article and the tips. You are around 40 feet or so away and, lets face it, you have a ballcoming at your nose at 45 to 60mph. Windmill drills are great for arm strength, technique and pitching velocity. Be careful not to get under the ball that will cause it to rise. This motion does a couple of different things. This will give the runner the next base. This helps with accuracy, speed and power. Pitch a ball that crosses over the plate. Teaching your pitcher to throw Off-Speed. If running is not your thing then you can ride a bike, kick box, aerobics or swim doing these for 30 minutes to one hour. Keep your arm relaxed and far from your body. What's a good drill to teach young pitchers to stay tall after a pitch/release, DD started to lean after pitch was released, she wasn't doing it now she's starting to . If the line wavers or is non-existant, the rotation is incorrect and more rotational work is needed. When throwing a riseball or a peel drop (straight dropball) the pitcher and catcher should see a solid line as the ball flies toward the target. Plank holds are a great drill for softball pitchers to boost core strength. With practice, they will become easier and help maximize control over velocity and accuracy. They may be able to see something you cannot! Make sure your body is straight from head to feet and back is not arched or sagging. The release of the ball is incorrect due to the pitcher working on the riseball, (that is another discussion for another time), and the pitcher not using her glove to aim at the target. Judge the stride length of your pitcher and you can extend that section ofthe line closer to the rubber than 10 feet but make sure it does not get soclose she lands on it or gets her feet caught up in it. Each time, roll through the shoulders, hips, elbows and wrists. Arm swings are also effective for cool down. Starting the same as Run and Drag Drill, drive off the mound, keeping your toes and navel toward the target. #8. What I enjoy most about the sport is that its so versatile there are endless possibilities when it comes to tactics and game-play.

Ocean's 12 Plot Holes, George Eliot Hospital Consultants, Espc South Queensferry, Surprise Message Link For Boyfriend, Articles S

softball pitching drills for staying tall