even the center fire 45-70 and the 45 colt cowboy rounds are NOT considered a fire arm, due to the FACT that they use slower burning black powder to fire them! ). Unbelievable what has happened to the price of Old Army since Ruger quit making them. Great review. I have one of these which I bought after a whole lot of looking and reading. Did you wash it in kitchen sink? He then shoots it. But that same design made the Remington more robust than the Colts and also gave the advantage of rapid cylinder swapping. If yu put a comment on his page, and advocate water to clean guns, he will immediatly foam at the mouth, delete your posting, and then tear a strip off your rear end for DARING to disagree with him! with brass frame or steel frame . If you boil your cylinders in a saucepan, then fish them oout with a slim piece of doweling, by the time they are cool enough to touch with the hand, ALL the water will have evaporated from the heat,and you can start right in re-loading them. Same thing with the barrels. Rewolwer Pietta 1858 Remington New Model Army Stainless Sheriff .44 I have a Uberti 1847 Walker. Pietta Stainless Nipple & Wrench Set (1851, 60, 61, 62, 58) 6x SS Nipples & Wrench Check Stock. Watch Cabelas.com or Cabelas stores ( if you have one close to you) Designed to be the future of revolvers, the top strap, full frame design made this revolver one of the strongest available. I shot it once in the neck using a 200 grain 45 acp fmj bullet and about 37 grains of 777. 660 Vermeer CourtPonderay, ID 83852United States. JavaScript seems to be disabled in your browser. It is 13.5" in length weighs about 2.75 lbs. The Remington 1858 differed from the Colt 1860 Army in that it used a top strap construction that left the cylinder closed in on both the top and bottom, which made the gun more rigid and thus more rugged, but also about fifty cents more to buy (~$12 today, adjusted for inflation). percussion revolver to a five shot .45 LC cartridge shooting firearm. First load powder, then press ball. Traditions Traditions 1858 Remington New Army .44 Cal. My dad bought one of these (pretty sure its the same thing) with an 8 barrel. Strap leather holster belt with brass plated center bar buckle held in place with secure snaps, ideal for installing western style buckles. Please click on the "Full Description" button for additional information and to read the Caution Statement provided by the manufacturer. It would sure be cool to see a review of the Colt competitors The reason is that .44 is the muzzle diameter. . For effective ignition, a ball has to fit tightly in the cylinder, and consequently a bit is shaved off when loading. In the .44 version, each of the six chambers can hold up to 40 grains of black powder. Mmmmmmlightly-grilled, corn-fed Bambis mother backstrap.mmmmmmm. Dont ever get law and logic mixed up; they have nothing in common. Triple K Buffalo-Bison Holster - Old South Firearms, LLC Colt cap-and-ball revolvers usually dont safety notches. I love it. In between, he was granted US Patent No. Remington with 40 grains. We have .45 Long Colt & .45 ACP Conversion Cylinders and Ejectors available for this gun, check them out on our "Shop by Catagory" pages. 1899. Black powder is scary in the beginning. 21478. Me too. Manufactured by Hornady to Traditions high standards. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. Personally, I think hes nutso! All of the Pietta replicas I have are fantastic, and they were all sourced from the same supplier (see last paragraph). The lesson is that if you shoot a black powder rifle dont think you know how to clean this pistol. Personally, I use wonder wads, commercially available round pieces of felt soaked in oil and wax (or you can make your own), between the ball and the powder. My Uberti-made 1858 Remington .44, with its fixed sights, will put six balls into a 1-1/2 inch circle at a measured 25 yards (none of that pacing-off stuff for me) from a benchrest. The Stainless Steel Bison that just came today is going to me my favorite! They tell me that they inspect every gun they get and wont sell anything they dont think is high quality, and I believe it. And be sure to get the correct version of conversion. With 20 grains, it shoots like a charm, so much so that Ive never loaded it any heavier. I am not convinced about black powder handguns for deer hunting. This is however, my first Bison (Buffalo). Thanks Dan. I had one of the Pietta 1858 Remingtons and while I enjoyed shooting it and learning about the history and evolution of firearms, the cleaning requirements are intense. You are to be congratulated in Choosing the BEST designed Black Powder Percussion revolver on the Market! And if both Buffalo Bill and Clint Eastwood liked it in different centuries, you know its got to be good. The front sight was okay, except that it was frequently made of brass, wich when polished by the inside of a holster, tended to reflect glare into the shooters eyes, but the rear sight was a crude notch, filed roughly into the tip of the hammer! converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination It can eat load of 40 grains all day. Black finish to match holsters. If you are using a big bore handgun, the little 22 seems like a free party. Dixie Cub, Super Cub and PA Rifles. Mausers, Lee Enfields, Mosins, Krags etc. STAINLESS STEEL FRAME. Civil War Black Powder Revolvers & Pistols by Uberti & Pedersoli. You could become the next Farinelliif youre lucky. They are cheaper to buy, but the first time you put any Hot Loads through one, the Soft Brass Frame will stretch, and youll just have a thing that LOOKS like a gun, but all you can do with it is hang it on the Living Room Wall!!!! Add 3% to the total cost for such purchases. Have adequate ventilation at all times. Code A434/ST36. IF YOU ARE HAVING TROUBLE CHECKING OUT USING YOUR iPHONE OR iPAD, PLEASE GIVE US A CALL: 205.533.8595, Shooting, Loading & Maintenace Accessories, << Previous in Traditions Performance Firearms, Next in Traditions Performance Firearms >>, Howell Conversions - 1858 Remington Pietta .45 LC Stainless Steel, Kirst Konverter - 1858 Remington Pietta 45 LC "Gated" Conversion Assembly, Howell Conversions - 1858 Remington Pietta .45 ACP, Howell Conversions - 1858 Remington Pietta .45 LC Fluted Stainless Steel, Howell Conversions - 1858 Remington Pietta .45 LC, Traditions 1858 Army Revolver - Walnut/Brass .44 cal Muzzleloader, Revolver Blackpowder Loading and Display Stand, Kirst Konverter - 1858 Remington 36 and 44 Universal Pietta and Uberti Conversion Kit for .22 Cartridges, Kirst Konverter - 1858 Remington Pietta .45 LC "Pale Rider" Conversion Assembly, Kirst Konverter - 1858 Remington Pietta .45 LC "Civil War" Conversion Assembly, Traditions 1858 Remington New Army Revolver, .44 Cal. Got a pair of Ubertis, one stainless and one blue (Thunder and Lightning). While the patent date of this gun was in 1858, actual production didnt start till after 1861 or so, I think 62. Though the guns be identical, the first is free of any legal imcumberance, while the second has an FFL holder and a waiting period to deal with. For Civil War pistoleros the best way to rapidly reload any cap-and-ball revolver, including the 1858, was to carry several of them, like this other guya Confederate guerilla from Missouri. If paying by Money Order, we can ship to wherever it's legal. Ive got a friend in the Hill Country who is a maniac on the topic of hunting Bambis mom. The emphasis on having antlers to hang on the wall has led to a ratio of 20 does per buck, which is not a stable gene pool. Easier to load and clean. Pietta, Steel Frame Revolver, 5.5" Oct. Barrel, Black Powder, Oklahoma Leather Belt, Black Leather Holster Belt, Oklahoma Leather Belt, Brown Leather Holster Belt. I got my first 58 Remington in 1989 for Christmas ($99 from Cabelas). Triple K Holster for the Buffalo & Bison. COPYRIGHT 2021, THETRUTHABOUTGUNS.COM. Enter Your Email to Receive Exclusive Discounts and Promotions, EMF Company, Inc. 1900 East Warner Ave. .454 Dia. The difference is due to the less definitive . Our. In the Remington Revolver, the cap is struck by the hammer, AFTER it passes through the slot in the Recoil Shield! Nazwa: 1858 Remington New Model Army Stainless Steel .44 Wykoczenie: Inox (Stainless Steel) Kaliber: .44 Typ zamka: Kapiszonowy Bben: 6-cio komorowy I have no idea how many guns Ive owned since my first .22 at the age of 12 but in the most fun category I could narrow it down to two. I boil all my cylinders in a saucepan, and pour boiling water through the barrels of the guns. But the website is easy to track sale prices through the year. Bought both of mine mail order from Cabelas. percussion revolver to a five shot .45 ACP cartridge shooting firearm. The rifle is the best looking gun in my collection, even better than my Henry. The ruggedness of the solid frame and the ability to quickly change cylinders made the Remington Army a favorite of officers and infantry alike during the Civil War. Not really outrage, but an eyeroll for sure. Youre only hunting if you sharpen a stick and use it as a spear. These are considered antiques and not subject to paper work. I have heard it all about these weapons not having the power to stop anything bigger than a deer or coyotes. Designed to compliment our Civil War holsters. Remington M1858 New Model Army and Navy Remington Beals Navy Remington M1865-67 Rolling Block Pistol Remington M1871 Rolling Block Pistol Remington .41 Double Derringer Remington M1875 Frontier Remington .36 DA Revolver Parts For Original Longarms Civil War Rifles and Carbines Sharps and Hankins Carbine Burnside Carbine Joslyn Carbine Buffalo. My neighbor has a deer lease with a very comfortable raised blind. 921(a)(3), (a)(16). Just my opinion. Ive been pretty satisfied with Clean Shot sub, and it smokes a lot less and produces significantly less fouling. Is that what i just shot down with my 5 1/2 inch 1858? I havent shot black powder in a long time. I got to fire a few cap and ball revolvers when on holiday in Italy. Very scary as all get out. Eventually, the design inspired the 1875 Remington, a true metallic cartridge revolver, but one that clearly shows the influences from the 1858. If the shooter was a little rough with the gun, and dropped the hammer into the Half Cock Notch, the tip of the trigger could break off, radically altering the sight picture. The 1858 Remington New Army is a large revolver, weighs almost three pounds, and with an eight inch barrel and quite well suited for cavalry and long-distance work (it was sighted in a seventy-five yards). As I got older and learned about black powder, the Remington pre-cartridge design just intuitively looked stronger. Do put grease in each chamber after loading. Someone asked why they are called .44s if they take a .452 or .454 ball. Like this guy. I have been cleaning black powder revolvers for almost 50 years. 10s will probably be best. Unless the revolvers were actualy made before Jan 1. I taught my neighbors son (after he turned 18) how to shoot black powder with my 1858 and he fell in love with the revolver, so I gave him a new one for college graduation. Fits 30" - 46" waist. I did know enough about black powder to use soap and water and clean until the bubbles showed white with no discoloration, but I screwed up and did not fully disassemble the cylinder and firing mechanism and after three months in storage (before and after a move) it was a rusty mess. The cylinders are pricey, it cost as much as the gun, but I have gotten over the price and enjoy the heck out of shooting and reloading 45s. In Iowa, muzzle-loading pistols of at least .44 caliber, with barrels at least four inches long and without shoulder stocks are legal for deer hunting. I went out of my tent and I could barely see but there was a big ass bear looking at me about 20 feet away. I have guns I bought from them as long ago as 2001, and they are all beautiful. 2023 Old South Firearms, LLC, All Rights Reserved. Also on the note of black powder, someone with a lesser felony conviction can own a black powder gun as long as the magazine cannot be altered to fire High power center fire ammunition (45-70 and .45 colt cowboy rounds do not apply). Item. Not only is that the right way to hunt, deer that go down fast and clean taste better. Any gun made before Jan 1 1999 i is an antique gun, and requires no involvement of an FFL holder. The 1858 Buffalo became very popular with shooters, hunters and soldiers due to its rugged frame construction and excellent accuracy. EMF offers this piece of history in your choice of brass, steel or stainless steel. Or even from New York? Revolver Round Balls (.454 Dia.) Very nice finish. http://www.1858remington.com, a.k.a. The manufacture of firearms by Remington goes back to 1816 when Eliphalet Reniington produced his first guns in Ilion, New York. Rewolwer Pietta 1858 Remington New Model Army Stainless .44 (RGS44) It was Assistant District Attorney Ben Stone that shot LaHood. In the interest of keeping shooters out of prison, I will wade in. Thanks for the advice, very much appreciated. He would also GIVE to Government Officials, very fine engraved Pistols, beautifully engraved with Silver of Gold, to U.S. . The heavier loads are a bitch on my wrists so Ido plinking at about 20 grains. Anyone know of a cylinder made for it? The 1858 Remington was one of the major side arms of the Civil War and was the last of the Remington percussion revolvers to be manufactured. This 1858 revolver pistol features a tapered octagon barrel, steel frame, brass trigger guard, 6-shot cylinder, fixed sights and two-piece walnut grips. After the first range trip, i tore it down to the last screw and cleaned/oiled the whole thing and still wound up with some rust on it when I put it back together the next day. The 1858 Remmy is my favorite gun. . Any purchases made in the state of Kentucky incur a 6% sales tax. This Howell Arms Conversion Cylinder will convert your stainless steel framed Pietta manufactured 1858 Remington Navy .36 caliber cap and ball replica revolver to shoot .38 Special cartridges using the .38 Special wadcutter heeled bullet or hollow base bullet. VFG Super Intensive Revolver & Pistol Cleaning Pellets, VFG Super Intensive Rifle Cleaning Pellets, VFG Super Intensive Shotgun Cleaning Pellets, Kowa 88mm Prominar Spotting Scopes & Accessories, Muzzleloading Short Starters & Pistol Loaders, Muzzleloading Shooting Patches, Flints & Leathers, Muzzleloading Powder Measures, Horn & Pan Chargers, Treso Muzzleloading Bullet Pullers & Patch Worms, 1858 Remington Army .44 Cal. The 1858 Remington is a single-action, cap-and-ball percussion revolver, usually .44 caliber, although versions were also made in both .31 and .36 calibers. The Remington 1858 has a top strap over the cylinder making it stronger than the Colt 1860 and older firearms. I send one of their revolvers back after opening it. Pietta 1858 Remington, Tiro. First, only one person had the cutoff date right; it is 1998 / 99. 1858 Army and Sheriff Models - EMF Company, Inc. It definitely seems that the makers will do as much quality control as is expected by the importer. It was late at night and I could hear my dog fighting with something. Thats meat harvesting and theres nothing wrong with it. One of the knocks against the 1858 Remington is that the cylinder tends to bind on the cylinder pin as the pistol gets fouled, and Bore Butter, or even some Crisco, helps keep that cylinder turning smoothly all day long. Please try another search, Tomahawks & Tomahawk Parts and Accessories, M1826 and M1836 Water's and Johnson Pistol, M1861 Special Musket (Colt,L.G. He has a bee in his bonnet, that he is the ONLY person in the world who knows how to correctly clean black Powder revolvers. When emailing or calling sellers direct, please mention that you saw their listing on GunsInternational.com, Muzzleloading Revolvers - Modern & Replica. Gun Part Upgrades & OEM Replacement Parts. - Old South Firearms, LLC Shoots .44 Caliber round ball and can be converted to .45ACP and/or .45LC. Have fun. No rust on my guns! I wound up selling it shortly thereafter. Features durable tear resistant stitching. 8" BARREL. Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for PIETTA 1858 REMINGTON STAINLESS CONVERSION CYLINDER .45LC at the best online prices at eBay! Fits all 1851, 1860 and 1858 revolvers. And you thought the New York reload was a modern invention? . If you want to make a guy worth killing, this should do it. Red Coats Get Run Off. Java, from Plymouth MA. I might be wrong about this! It required something Long and thin, preferably with a hook at its end, to fish the Mashed and Mangled remains of the cap, out of the Innards of the gun, before Battle could once more be joined! Save time and eliminate the hassle of the loading lever with the 1858 Remington Cylinder Pin Quick Release. Today you can quickly convert your own Remington 1858, without first paying off some big corporation, by merely dropping in a cartridge conversion cylinder two popular versions are the Taylors R&D and Kirst conversions. The conversion cylinder is indeed just a part, and can be bought anywhere any time any place. See "More Info" to follow a link to Cylinder Pouches. Perhaps not as easily dismantled for cleaning the Remington 1858 was full framed and capable of bearing under greater abuse than the open-top design of the Colt. Many find that the higher loads are less accurate. Lubed with WonderLube 1000 Plus, EZ Lube A recruit, playing (Hopefullly with an UN-Loaded revolver!) About 200 ft-lbs Energy Second, every forum has those who will not allow an absence of knowledge interfere with their conveyance of information. My advice is to buy the gun and cylinder, forget that the combination will cost about the same as a modern revolver and enjoy the heck out of it. Fine review with everything that makes a gun review great: guns, history and guns. Dixie Gun Works He carried a nickel plated 8 Remington 1858 and a peacemaker. Revolvers - Old South Firearms, LLC Some folks claim doing so helps prevent chain fires, or all the cylinders going off at once. The 1858 Remington Buffalo .44cal, Stainless Steel Frame revolver with the 12" Oct. Barrel is one of the strongest, most accurate, and most sought after black powder revolvers. Pietta 1858 Remington Buffalo Black Powder Revolver | .44 Cal Brass The Cleanest Clean Its Ever Been! I wipe off the parts of the frame with a water dampened rag, to get fouling off the frame, hammer, and the slot in the recoil shield whre the hammer goes through to strike the cap, then use a lightly oiled rag to go over the same places! Any rifle, pistol or shotgun made prior to that majic date is paper free. Our Sale Price: . The Beals model came earlier, then the Old Model Army/Navy, and, finally, the new Model. The Colt type sighting was crude, to say the very least! 1858 Remington | Taylor's Firearms Oiled brown finish to match holsters. Beautiful Firearm Being a Cavalryman Ive always loved the 1858s, 1860s and 1873s. 3 per pack. This was a very common happening in the field. Stainless Steel Frame, 12" Oct. Barrel Buffalo << Previous in Traditions Performance Firearms Next in Traditions Performance Firearms >> Related Products Login to rate or review this product (2 Ratings, 1 Review) Average Rating: Beautiful Firearm morgan jones (CAPE CORAL, FL) 9/2/2014 3:22 PM Stainless Steel Frame, 12" Oct. Barrel Buffalo. The 1858 is the modern name for the Remington New Model Army/Navy revolvers, which were introduced circa 1863. The instruction manual back then did not give any information on proper cleaning. That means that two Colt Peacemakers coming off the line 1 minute apart (11:59PM on Dec 31 1898 and 12:00 AM on Jan 1, 19 99, define the force of the law. The nature of the weapon makes no difference; one is just as deadly, and in the same way as the other. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. If you want a Buffalo version of the 1858 Remington replicas, this is the one to get! PIETTA 1858 REMINGTON STAINLESS CONVERSION CYLINDER .45LC - eBay I have developed a load for this gun, I call, The Medical Examiners Special! I call it thus, because I am convinced that anyone who tried to assault me, and who I hit Fair & Square twixt Wind & Water with it, well, the only Doctor who would be able to assist the person thus shot, would be The Medical Examiner! Bullshit!!! Everything you ever wanted to know about the 1858 Remington (and some things you didnt!). The Colts often did have short safety pins at the back of the cylinder which could be engaged with the notch in the hammer nose, to accomplish exactly the same thing however. I can put up to 60 grains into each chamber, though I usually use 40. I have a Pietta target model I like to take with me backpacking. Treat he hammer with the same respect you treat the trigger. I am sure it will do for deer. Nipples, Revolver And a .50 sabot over 100 grains of Pyrodex is a humane, instant-kill deer load out to 150 yards. Gun Review: Taylor's and Company 1858 Remington Conversion Revolver Traditions 1858 Army Remington .44Cal Black Powder Revolver Actually, percussion caps come in slightly different sizes, as do nipples. This conversion cylinder assembly will convert your 1858 Remington Pietta or Uberti steel or brass .44 cap and ball revolver to fire .22 cartridges. It has a central shotgun barrel (16 gauge? Tsk tsk. The other great thing about the cap-and-ball revolvers is that they are not considered firearms, so you can buy all you want and have them shipped to your door. I now buy all of my replicas from one distributor EMF Company. It is the reciever/frame of any gun that is the controlled part, basically the receiver or frame IS the gun, legally. The book calls for using 3Fg, on the can it will read as FFFg. The 1858 Remington became so famous that it was the . The Remington cost about 50 cents more per copy than the various Colt models, due to the top strap frame construction, and was not as widely issued. A strap leather holster belt with brass plated center bar buckle held in place with snaps. I am no authority, but I believe I know the law on this subject. See 18 U.S.C. and 12 ga. Egzemplarz tej broni, nalecy do Willa, . For the first 50 rounds the cylinder was very tight and a pain in the butt to fit in and out of the frame, but it is broken in and now I can change it with ease, but Im still not as fast as Clint in Pale rider. Very nice article on the 1858 Remington. One can shoot all day on a pittance. Pietta, Steel Frame, 8" Oct. Barrel, Black Powder, Traditions 1858 Remington New Army Revolver, .44 Cal. There is some variability between brands of caps as well as manufacture of nipples. I shot it again in the side and it stop rolling around. Some were mentioning movies in which the Remington 1858 made an appearance. re-grease, assemble, and go shoot for another year! This may provoke howls of outrage, but whitetails with a scoped .243 or .308 is not hunting. The grips were too thin to get a good grip of. These parts are not guaranteed to fit older Pietta models, other manufacturer's guns, or original firearms. Rewolwer Pietta 1858 Remington New Model Army Stainless Sheriff .44 (RGSSH44) . 1858 Remington, .44cal, Steel Frame, 8" Oct. Barrel.

Is Catherine O'hara Related To Maureen O'hara, Manhattan School Of Music Vs Juilliard, What Is The Thermal Spa On Ncl Getaway?, Articles OTHER